Sick hen developed sour crop Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuLutoo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. LuLutoo

LuLutoo New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    I am desperately trying to help my Frannie. I don't know what has caused her illness and need help diagnosing. I am relatively new to chickens.

Frannie is a 16 week old barred Cochin bantom. I don'y know ow much she weighs, but she has really lost weight and muscle.
    She is fed organic laying pellets, fresh water and they all free range the yard. They also get fruit and veggie scraps from the kitchen.

Three days ago my hubby saw her hanging out by herself but thought nothing of it

Two days ago I found her listless, alone and fluffed. Her crop was TOTALLY empty. Her comb was nice and red, her eyes bright, no discharge from her nose. I took her to the water and she drank some. She would not eat. I force fed her a few kernels of canned corn, hoping the energy would get her eating again. Her poop was green and white, but not much of it. No lice or mites that I could see. It is HOT here, but they hang out under the bushes and stay cool.

Yesterday she looked a bit better. She was still drinking and tried to follow her friends around. She still was not eating. I mixed up some "Sick chicken food" (found on another site) and force fed her a bit.

This morning she looked even more miserable. Her comb is getting paler and yellowing a bit. her crop was totally full and mushy. When checking her vent (not messy) Foul smelling fluid poured out of her mouth. I had read about sour crop so I emptied her out completely (easy because it was all fluid.). I fed her some organic greek yogurt to boost her good bacteria (syringe). I also gave her a warm bath she seemed to like it. I don't think she has pooped, but I am not sure. Then she drank a ton of water with a little apple cider vinegar in it. Now she is still fluffed, listless and her crop does not seem to be going down. She is all bones. When I feel between her legs, in front of her vent there is a meaty area. It is about the size of a regular hens egg, but fleshy. I don't know if that is normal since I hadn't felt her before. She has not started laying.

All the other girls are fine. I did introduce some day old babies to the yard last week (same hatchery), but they are all fine too. PLEASE help. This little girl is my sweetheart.

Lauren

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm guessing you have already found the links on the FAQ page here for sour crop. I am wondering if your others' bellies feel the way hers does, as if there were an egg in there. I'm sorry this is happening to you. Sometimes we lose them at point of lay, it seems, if there is some defect in there.

I hope she improves.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor thing. It sounds like you are doing the right things for sour crop as described elsewhere on the forum. Keep massaging the crop, too.

4. LuLutoo

LuLutoo New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    Thanks guys. she is still not eating. I got 4 more ml of yogurt in her some with olive oil.... She is pooping mostly white with bits of dark green. I am massaging her crop often and it is going down....

Should I force feed her tonight before bed? How long can this little girl go on without food???

Thanks for the replies it is nice to not be alone with this.

Lauren

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by