Sick Hen Don't know why

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chevydmax04, Dec 24, 2008.

1. chevydmax04

chevydmax04 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    I have a Orpington Hen, she is about 1 year old and I was just down in the coop checkin on them when I noticed her lying on the floor on her side with her head at a weird angle. I stood her up and she went in circles, I don't know maybe they had an early X-mas party that I was unaware of and she is still a little hung over. Little history, I have 11 birds in a 12x12 coop, they have been confined for the 98% of the time over the last 5 weeks due to bitter cold and obscene amounts of snow. I was shoveling snow out of the run area and it is 6' deep where it has drifted and an average 4' everywhere else. Everyone else is fine, they have started laying their eggs outside of the nesting boxes in the last week or so. I think they are suffering from cabin fever, but the Orp has something else going on. One last item the coop is insulated and heated for their comfort.Thanks for your helpSteve

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    Sorry i dont know and i wish i could be a better help. Could she be dehydrated? do u keep water in the chicken coop? i'm sorry, at least it's a bump [​IMG]

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

Look under Coop Construction. I think that your coop might be a little small for that many chickens, especially if they have been cooped up for that long.

Or may she is just hung over! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could she have gotten a bad bump on the head thus brain damage? Not uncommon for head injuries to occur in birds.

5. chookee

chookee New Egg

Dec 24, 2008
    a crowded coop & other jumped & bumped her...hope not more than mild concussion??? could be anything though, need more info

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Could be an infection?

See if she'll drink some water...

7. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Bump

8. chevydmax04

chevydmax04 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    ok I have had two people state that I may have my coop overcrowded, I have 144 sqft for floor space in the coop and 11 chickens, that equals 13 sqft per bird. Everyewhere I read I have found 3-4 sqft per bird. Is my coop overcrowded?? What are other people doing for sqft per bird?

9. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I have 35 sq ft of floor for 4 birds. I also thought 3-4 sq ft per bird. You have more per bird than I do. I don't think this is your problem.

Good luck.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The "rule" is 4 sq inside space and 10 sq feet outside space. However, it's just a guideline and some say it's plenty, some say its not enough.

Your coop sounds fine. Still don't know what's up with the hen though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by