sick hen (end of the road for her?)

I lost a hen recently too to an unknown cause. I think there is a great chance mine perhaps ate a small piece of plastic. Does it seem likely that the blockage you saw could be something like that?

Yes. The blockage was hard and black, but I don't know what it was. Also there was a piece of undigested corn right next to it. It was weird.
All around the blockage the intestines were really hard and thick.

Hi there I a new owner of chickens one of mine is swollen today there a big mass she can, t walk she not eating or drinking and her breathing is like she gasping her eyes stay shut any suggestion to be honest I dont think she going to make it through the night. The swollen bit is inbetween her legs and it is bigger than a tennis ball and it feels solid. We have today delouce her and gave her to try reboost her as she lethargic but she hasent improved and my daughter is keeping her separate from the others.
Any suggestion will be great thanks

Hi there I a new owner of chickens one of mine is swollen today there a big mass she can, t walk she not eating or drinking and her breathing is like she gasping her eyes stay shut any suggestion to be honest I dont think she going to make it through the night. The swollen bit is inbetween her legs and it is bigger than a tennis ball and it feels solid. We have today delouce her and gave her to try reboost her as she lethargic but she hasent improved and my daughter is keeping her separate from the others.
Any suggestion will be great thanks
Please look up "egg binding" and see if that might be the cause. There are things that can be done to help her in that case.

I had a hen with the same symptoms several weeks ago.she filled up with so much fluid .she was having problems breathing and she could no longer take a step.DH and i made the decision to put her down.i could not watch her suffer.it was obvious she was not going to make it.she was one of my first chickens and my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom