Sick Hen Help

Tiffanyhelm813

Hatching
Jan 19, 2020
I have a Hen that’s about 4 or 4.5 years old... she began acting strange, to herself, just standing there... not wanting to eat or drink much. Noticed about 5 days ago. I’ve lost one before from being egg bound, so soaked & massaged her in warm water... & felt all over to see if I felt any hard stuck egg... nothing. Watched her a day or so & still acting strange.... contacted my vet & they gave antibiotics & pain/anti inflammatory to her. Still, after this... not wanting to eat or drink much... not using the bathroom either. I fed her egg, gave water via syringe. & just monitored her... today I got home & she’s flopped over on one side.... kind of like she had a stroke because right side wouldn’t help her much in standing up. She wanted to just lay there & clothes her eyes.... I brought her in my bathroom & wrapped her in towels with a heater in there & gave her water & honey.... she’s still not moving much or opening eyes. She’s breathing & her breaths scare me because I could see her breathing through her beak. Her comb is still red & eyes look normal, nostrils look normal, feet, skin, feathers.. it’s so weird. She’s my favorite hen & Im so attached to her, I don’t want to lose her but at a loss.... no one seems to know what’s going on or what else to do. Her name is Pontelette (Cajun French slang for panties, lol) I love my girl

Attachments

• 837D4B21-BD53-4F29-BD69-A3440CA2B983.jpeg
    837D4B21-BD53-4F29-BD69-A3440CA2B983.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 12
Sorry about your sick hen. How long ago did she lay her last eggs? Many have stopped laying by this age, and reproductive problems (egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, cancer, and others) can be possible. Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, or puffy. Can you look her over for any lice or mites on her skin under her vent and elsewhere?

I’m not sure of last egg.... I have 8 total, but she def hasn’t laid in a few days. No new chickens, just the usual other 7.... her crop doesn’t feel hard or full... just maybe empty, I guess... I checked for lice & notes but none found. I even thought of something poisonous but they’re in a pen & coop & nothings in there other than feed, water, hay.. the others are fine... it’s just her.. I keep giving honey & water every so often, & have her away from the others... keeping her warm because it’s cold tonight outside... you think maybe age?

I’m not sure of last egg.... I have 8 total, but she def hasn’t laid in a few days. No new chickens, just the usual other 7.... her crop doesn’t feel hard or full... just maybe empty, I guess... I checked for lice & mites but none found. I even thought of something poisonous but they’re in a pen & coop & nothings in there other than feed, water, hay.. the others are fine... it’s just her.. I keep giving honey & water every so often, & have her away from the others... keeping her warm because it’s cold tonight outside... you think maybe age?

I like her name!
I do agree, with her age, she may be having some reproductive problems.
It's hard to tell in the photo - it could just be the angle, but is her ear swollen?
The vet gave antibiotics and anti-inflammatory - did they mention what they thought could be wrong?

1579486254048.png

I like her name!
I do agree, with her age, she may be having some reproductive problems.
It's hard to tell in the photo - it could just be the angle, but is her ear swollen?
The vet gave antibiotics and anti-inflammatory - did they mention what they thought could be wrong?

View attachment 2006731

Thank you! This photo is OLD... I can check if her ear is swollen though.. right now

What was the antibiotic name? I love her apron! Reproductive and other disorders can be common and sometimes a broad spectrum antibiotic can be given to treat whatever might be wrong. While she is inside keeping warm, I would offer some wet chicken feed, a little scrambled egg and you can experiment with canned cat food liver, or tuna. I put a little extra waterto get more water into them.

OH my! I'm so sorry to read that she's not well. I had two Rhodes pass away that way about 2 months ago. They were only 1.5 years old. The vet said possibly they were spooked and had a heart attack. Oh yes please keep her inside, honey n water is excellent for hydration and electrolytes.
I'm hoping you get to the bottom of this issue. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom