Sick Hen! Help!

I agree with both @Mrs J and @nuthatched . The penguin stance is the classic sign of egg binding. From the look of her, she's been in this state for far too long and is running out of energy to deal with it.

In addition to the calcium citrate given immediately, give her a cup of warm water with one teaspoon of brown (or white) sugar stirred in and a squirt of Poultry Nutri-drench. The calcium will generate the contractions so she can expel the egg and the other stuff will elevate her glucose and nutrients to give her energy.

If you don't have the calcium, this is what to buy. View attachment 3434486
Good morning!
So my girl laid a very strange looking egg last night. Yay! She is a bit perkier but still doing the penguin stance. Should I still keep giving calcium and do you have any other pointers? I’m feeling very optimistic she may pull through!

Did you happen to get a photo of the strange egg?
Was it like anything in the article below?

Passing a strange egg is good. Yes, continue with the calcium for several more days.
Work on hydration and encourage her to eat something.
She's new to you, so do check for lice or mites and monitor that her crop is emptying.

If she's not lethargic, then another soak during the day may bring a bit of relief as well.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Did you happen to get a photo of the strange egg?
Was it like anything in the article below?

Passing a strange egg is good. Yes, continue with the calcium for several more days.
Work on hydration and encourage her to eat something.
She's new to you, so do check for lice or mites and monitor that her crop is emptying.

If she's not lethargic, then another soak during the day may bring a bit of relief as well.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
Definitely a lash egg 😢

Attachments

• 99392114-3093-4DB8-9262-1F9918EB2363.jpeg
    99392114-3093-4DB8-9262-1F9918EB2363.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom