Sick Hen Huge Lump on Cheek

scratch'n'peck, thanks for keeping in touch. I dont think she is much better though, she is still lethargic and for the first time did not climb into the roost, she is in the shavings on the floor. I've gone to check on her three times already tonight, my wife thinks I'm nuts but she is a good pet and I hate to see her suffer. I have spent most of the night researching how best to put her down unfortunately. I may make a killing cone and try to lance it again tomorrow with her is a stable position. The lancing was pretty tiring on her the first time.

Does anyone know if Infectious Coryza causes swelling on both sides of the face or could this be Infectious Coryza with swelling on one side only?

I don't see any eye problems, no sneezing, but she does wheeze when I handle her to apply medicine. Diagnosis makes a big impact to the treatment of coarse and I got some penicillin G. That wont help with Coryza as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Just checking back again...

I think Coryza would cause swelling on both sides of the face and it probably would not cause swelling over several months. I wonder if the abscess eventually punctured inside due to the pressure and started oozing into the nasal cavity. But you are right that the antibiotics used to treat coryza would be different. Penicillin G it typically recommended more for wounds and abscesses. I suppose the only way to know for sure it to get a culture to find out what bacteria it is. Otherwise it is a matter of trying an antibiotic and seeing it it helps. Here is a link to a site on poultry illnesses that may provide a bit of help: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks for the support. Papa is coming over and we will try to lance again with bigger needle. I have Penny G and Purple coat to treat hopefully she get looking better. She is eating and drinking fine, she may even be laying. I got 4 more eggs today but they will go back to them as feed because Im not sure who laid them.

I called two vets and emailed Auburn Poultry science as well as some longtime chicken people and the all feel its not Coryza so have my fingers crossed the lancing will go well.

So surgery reduced the lump to about half the previous size, she did really well, I mean she kinda just laid her head down while I punctured and drained it. The remaining lump seems to be a spongy, maybe inflamed mass or cycst. I drained mainly clear liquid with some blood, no puss unfortunately. Interesting that the first time we popped the sack it really stunk BAD, this time not so much.

Gave her a penny G shot, put on some Blue Cote and put back to bed and she was still alive at 5 am
lol.png

Talked to vet who said it might be a blocked salivary gland or non-cancerous tumor and not Coryza. I'm gonna take a picture when I get home from work and post it for comparison.

Looks like it did before. I'll keep with the penny g for four days but I'm losing hope for a recovery. Other than the HUGE lump she looks great! Bright eyes, moving around, eating and drinking... Well she is starting to molt as well so feathers are getting sparse.
Strange.

81535_img_0924.jpg

81535_img_0923.jpg

Last edited:
Well you know that chickens puss infections are runny. Their puss is more of a solid type plug that usually needs to be pulled out. If you can lance it again and see if there is such a thing in there that might help.

Back
Top Bottom