Sick Hen Huge Lump on Cheek

JohnHenry

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Somerville
I looked for information and haven't been able to see any answers for a large lump on a hens face. She has had it almost a year now and it has got very large and she is now pretty lethargic, she does move but nothing like she use to. Seems like most posted I have read say its an infection or a tumor so my question is if its an infection is there a particular antibiotic I should try?

81535_2011-12-04_100410.jpg

81535_2011-12-04_100440.jpg

81535_dsc_6151.jpg

81535_dsc_6149.jpg

81535_dsc_6150.jpg

Last edited:
Poor hen. It does sound like a tumor or an abscess. If it is an abscess, I think injectable Penicillin G is typically recommended. It is available at some farm stores like Tractor Supply, and has doesing instructions according to the weight of the animal on the packaging. A vet may be able to drain an abscess, too.

Thanks scratch'n'peck. I think the vet would be very expensive but I'll call them is she makes it another day. I'm gonna check the feed store for the penicillin G. I haven't heard of that, I've seen tetracycline and something else in post. SHe wont leave the coop now and one of the other hens is staying close by her, kinda sweet.

Quote:
I would lance it. If it's an abscess it will only help. If it's a mass she won't likely live too much longer if it's gotten to the point of causing her not to eat. It would be very likely that it is an abscess however, a year is much too long
sad.png
Sorry for your gal.

If she's had it for over a year, I'm thinking tumor of some sort. How old is she? Tumors and cancers are as common in older chickens as they are in older humans. If it has a "head" or area that looks like you can see pus, I would consider lancing it. Is it soft and squishy or hard like a rock? Rock-hard would indicate tumor which I would not mess with. As far as antibiotics, giving them to an already sick hen may be worse than not giving it. Good luck making the right decisions for you and your hen.

Last edited:
She was laying when I got her, I'm guessing she might be 1.5 to 2 years. She looks to be just now molting. She looked so bad I couldn't wait anymore so my farther in law helped me lance it with a needle. A BUNCH of clear fluid (STINKY) squirted out with some on me. We treated with rubbing alcohol and neosporin and let her back with her friends. Its still very big, hard to tell we even drained anything but here is the updated picture.

81535_dsc_6153.jpg

They are all taking sand baths.

81535_dsc_6152.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I would lance it. If it's an abscess it will only help. If it's a mass she won't likely live too much longer if it's gotten to the point of causing her not to eat. It would be very likely that it is an abscess however, a year is much too long
sad.png
Sorry for your gal.

Yes a year too long, really maybe 6 month but still too long. I was afraid I'd hurt her more than help and it was large than subsided in size and she was always laying, eating and active. I thought if it was an infection she might fight and kill it on her own.

Thanks everyone. I'll update post for others as well, I know Ive seen lots of post but never answers on what it was.

I'm glad to hear it was an abscess and that she feels well enough to sand bathe. Keep an eye on her behavior. If she still seems lethargic at all or not interested in food you still may want to consider Pen G injectable antibiotic. But hopefully the neosporin applied daily for a while will take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom