Sick hen, I’m aware of what’s wrong but she won’t eat- what are the best tricks to get food in her?

Hennyhoneys

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2022
We’ve been to the vet, she likely has a reproductive issue. Probably Salpingitis. She was given an anabiotic and an anti-inflammatory/pain med. She was eating just a bit yesterday but not nearly enough. Today she won’t eat at all and I think it has something to do with the meds. I’m going to stop the anti-inflammatory because she’s very out of it and will only get up to drink water if I put it right in front of her face. This is her fourth day without adequate food. I’ve tried her favorites, rice/greens, scrambled eggs. Today I tried tuna, and she didn’t care about it. What is my best shot getting food in her?
She is isolated, we are trying Epsom salt baths. I would’ve course. Liked to hear other suggestions if you have them but food is my main concern as I don’t think she would last much longer with out it. She is drinking when I offer it to her but I don’t think she is doing it on her own.

IMG_7308.jpeg

My opinion > I think you are going to have to tube feed her until she is well enought to eat on her own again.
Thanks, I was thinking this too… I’m going to try to find supplies locally tomorrow. As the pain meds wore off this evening she did take a few bites and was slightly more alert so that’s hopeful but I think to be safe I’m going to have to figure out tube feeding.

Thanks, I was thinking this too… I’m going to try to find supplies locally tomorrow. As the pain meds wore off this evening she did take a few bites and was slightly more alert so that’s hopeful but I think to be safe I’m going to have to figure out tube feeding.
Hey Hennyhoneys. I have the same issue with my chicken who we think has EYP. Today is day 4 without food.

Were you able to tube feed your chicken? If so, what did you feed her and how did you do it?

Hey Hennyhoneys. I have the same issue with my chicken who we think has EYP. Today is day 4 without food.

Were you able to tube feed your chicken? If so, what did you feed her and how did you do it?
I have not yet tube fed. But I did come across this link, I believe it was recommended on this site, but I looked through a bunch of different ones, so I can’t say for sure.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2022/05/16/gavage-tube-feeding-chickens/

I ended up stopping my hens pain med/anti-inflammatory. It was a hard choice to make but she was so out of it with that combined with her lack of food intake, which was making her weak. Since doing that she will take bites here and there if we are very diligent about hand feeding her. She is on day five and pretty weak from very limited food intake. She otherwise is doing okay but I know she’s not eating enough. Truthfully, I don’t feel comfortable tube feeding her and do feel ready to let nature take its course if it gets to the tube feeding point.

I sure hope your chicken pulls through and isn’t suffering too much. For what it’s worth, my girl has been interested in finally chopped, scrambled eggs and cooked rice.

I have not yet tube fed. But I did come across this link, I believe it was recommended on this site, but I looked through a bunch of different ones, so I can’t say for sure.

I ended up stopping my hens pain med/anti-inflammatory. It was a hard choice to make but she was so out of it with that combined with her lack of food intake, which was making her weak. Since doing that she will take bites here and there if we are very diligent about hand feeding her. She is on day five and pretty weak from very limited food intake. She otherwise is doing okay but I know she’s not eating enough. Truthfully, I don’t feel comfortable tube feeding her and do feel ready to let nature take its course if it gets to the tube feeding point.

I sure hope your chicken pulls through and isn’t suffering too much. For what it’s worth, my girl has been interested in finally chopped, scrambled eggs and cooked rice.
I should mention that when I say, let nature take its course, I don’t mean to let her starve to death. We have a vet that can euthanize her peacefully. Of course I hope she will start eating a bit more though!

Thank you for sharing! I feel the same way about trying to tube feed as you do. I ended up stopping the pain meds as well.

She ended up being interested in a mashed tomato of all things. For the last two days I have been able to mix some crumble feed in hot water, seive out the thick parts, and use a syringe to put the liquid in her mouth. She's been too weak to fight it and swallows on her own (no tube in the throat). Today is day 7 and she finally started eating lettuce and corn on her own. I'm still giving her antibiotics in a raspberry and she gobbles it up. I just put her back with the flock and they're dust bathing. She is acting more normal and the rest of the flock certainly has missed her (she is a leader and made sure to announce her return).

I should mention that when I say, let nature take its course, I don’t mean to let her starve to death. We have a vet that can euthanize her peacefully. Of course I hope she will start eating a bit more though!
How is she doing now? I hope she has started to pull through.

Thank you for sharing! I feel the same way about trying to tube feed as you do. I ended up stopping the pain meds as well.
I hope your girl pulls through! My sick hen is the sweetest and most docile of the bunch so the others have been brutal to her when she joins them. I’m always appalled at how awful they can be!
Anyways she’s still walking around and hanging on though she’s barely eating… We are taking it day by day. Perhaps I’ll try dropper feeding tomorrow. Also we found a few worms for her today and she ate them!

Back
Top Bottom