Sick hen is making an odd mooing sound when she breathes

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Yesterday everyone was fine, today one is making an odd mooing sound when she breathes. Obviously respiratory. GREAT!. She falls over when I catch her and she is gurgling. No one else is showing symptoms yet. She is separate. I have tetracyline water made up for the entire coop and I have convinced her to sip at some medicated water. I don't know what to do next. I have had amazingly healthy birds for 6 years now and now this. I will say I had a similar thing happen a couple years ago to just one bird right after turkeys had gotten into my chicken area. Well we just had wold turkeys in the pen right next to the chickens a few days ago.

What I have on hand is : electrolytes, probiotics, tetracyline, Vetrimycin 200, and LA-200. Its whats in my medical boxes currently. Should I be looking for something else to inject? My husband can do the shots but no clue how to treat. I know I will have to treat the whole flock.

No other symptoms like sneezing, just gurgling and the odd mooing sound.

Make a mixture consisting of 50% garlic (not powder) 25% vegetable oil and 25% water. Then give around a teaspoon everyday, its easiest if you use an eyedropper for this. I used this "home made medicine" from a blog I looked a up about a year ago, the chicken with problems like this cleared up within two days. Keep us posted!
big_smile.png

I will give it a try. Heck I was about to dose the poor thing with my elderberry syrup. I have antibiotics and am not afraid to use them but I really do not use them enough to be experienced. My family has used antibiotics on ourselves I think twice in the last few years and one calf had to be treated. Everyone else has been antibiotic free because they never needed it.

Does extra dust come with the turkey's? As in did you put different bedding down, dustier hay, that sort of thing? I had one of mine do this and we finally worked out it was that she was more sensitive to dust and anytime that increased in bedding she would make the noise when breathing. Never affected the others.

Vet put her antibiotics for respitory illness the first time but as soon as we got her away from the new shavings she would improve within an hour so finally the penny dropped.

Last edited:
No new bedding BUT it has been dryer than usual. We got some rain but in the coop itself its wicked dry and outside the coop in run and areas around it the dust is high. The turkey flock coming in the area to forage may have stirred more of it up. These are wild turkeys. I had wild turkeys and one wild duck in my chicken, duck and geese areas within the last week.

Back
Top Bottom