Sick Hen-Laying soft shell egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pouletchallet, Mar 13, 2011.

1. pouletchallet

pouletchallet In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2008
    My 3 year old RIR because sick yesterday. I noticed her in the nesting box in the morning and then when I went to check for eggs in the afternoon she was still in the same box looking lethargic. I brought her into the house and made a hospital ward with a rubbermaid container. I also noticed her abdomen was swollen so I researched and came up with a few results. One was egg binding and the other periotonitis. I let her soak in a warm tub for 30 min and did this twice yesterday. She ate and drank a little last night. This morning I checked her and noticed she had this coming out of her which kinda looks like and egg yolk.

In her bath
    [​IMG]

Yolk? coming out
    [​IMG]

It's been all morning and it has not come out so I am getting worried. I tried to run water around it to see if it would loosen and it's not moving. Could there be another yolk attached on the otherside I have seen a pic with double yolks attached. This is my daughters chicken so I don't want to loose it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    That does look like a yolk! keep soaking her in warm water and see what happens. if it falls of then take a picture of it then do what ever you want with it. i think she might be eggbound.

3. pouletchallet

Sep 16, 2008
    At first that's what I thought it was, but now I am second guessing myslef could it be part of her insides because after I put some mineral oil around it I tried gently to see if it would come when I pulled, but it seems attached. I hope someone else has seen this before as I don't want her to suffer.

4. pouletchallet

Sep 16, 2008
    The color has now turned darkgreen/black. I can't believe it still alive. I am feeding it water with an eye dropper and it won't eat.

5. jjthink

jjthink Crowing

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you can get her veterinary attention, I would do so immediately.

If she has a broken shell inside her, it can and may already have caused infection. She'll need antibiotic.

JJ

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    I agree with a vet appointment ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: