Sick Hen-Laying soft shell egg?

pouletchallet

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
My 3 year old RIR because sick yesterday. I noticed her in the nesting box in the morning and then when I went to check for eggs in the afternoon she was still in the same box looking lethargic. I brought her into the house and made a hospital ward with a rubbermaid container. I also noticed her abdomen was swollen so I researched and came up with a few results. One was egg binding and the other periotonitis. I let her soak in a warm tub for 30 min and did this twice yesterday. She ate and drank a little last night. This morning I checked her and noticed she had this coming out of her which kinda looks like and egg yolk.

In her bath
DSCN1491.jpg

Yolk? coming out
DSCN1493.jpg

It's been all morning and it has not come out so I am getting worried. I tried to run water around it to see if it would loosen and it's not moving. Could there be another yolk attached on the otherside I have seen a pic with double yolks attached. This is my daughters chicken so I don't want to loose it.

Last edited:
That does look like a yolk! keep soaking her in warm water and see what happens. if it falls of then take a picture of it then do what ever you want with it. i think she might be eggbound.

At first that's what I thought it was, but now I am second guessing myslef could it be part of her insides because after I put some mineral oil around it I tried gently to see if it would come when I pulled, but it seems attached. I hope someone else has seen this before as I don't want her to suffer.

The color has now turned darkgreen/black. I can't believe it still alive. I am feeding it water with an eye dropper and it won't eat.

If you can get her veterinary attention, I would do so immediately.

If she has a broken shell inside her, it can and may already have caused infection. She'll need antibiotic.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom