Sick hen: loss of appetite, energy

jbrewster

Chirping
Jul 18, 2017
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
My hen is a one-year-old Bresse and is a normal weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She isn't eating, and in the coop she is mostly just laying down or roosting; in the yard she will stand in one place or lay down for long periods of time. She laid a soft egg last week (Thursday evening), and I think she may have laid another soft egg that she (or the other chickens) ate.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She was exhibiting the same behavior last Thursday evening-Friday morning; then was fine on Saturday/Sunday, and the symptoms started up again last night.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She may have been spooked by a dog and/or lawn mower. There are also some buttercups in the yard, and there is rhubarb, though the chickens have never tried eating that. Also, the hen that is sick ate a slug (I think...maybe it was a mouse??) on Wednesday night, before she was sick.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She wasn't eating or drinking on Thursday/Friday, then was back to normal Saturday/Sunday, and now is not eating again.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I don't know exactly--though there was green poop in the coop when I cleaned it out.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I've put a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in the water to help with symptoms.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to treat completely myself if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
There is a small coop the chickens sleep in, with a run below it. During the evenings, they usually roam in the yard. The bedding is a mix of pine shavings and straw. I do light cleaning of their coop and run daily, and more thorough cleaning weekly.

isn't eating, and in the coop she is mostly just laying down or roosting......laid a soft egg last week (Thursday evening), and I think she may have laid another soft egg that she (or the other chickens) ate.

Hi @jbrewster :frow Welcome To BYC

Do you notice any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in her abdomen?

It's hard to know for sure, but she may be having trouble passing another soft-shell egg or may be suffering from an internal laying/reproductive disorder.

You can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to see if that will help get things moving. Gently feel inside her vent about 1" with a lubricated finger to see if you feel an egg. Provide her with some poultry vitamins and extra calcium. See that she is drinking well.

Let us know how she is doing.

Also whenever a chicken is ill you should feel their crop, abdomen, and keel bone. Does her abdomen feel bloated at all? EYP is very common and causes that.

Well, she seems to be doing better for the time being. And it looks like she also laid a "healthy" egg. I'll keep an eye on her and check her crop, abdomen and keel bone.

I'm glad she is doing better.

It almost sound like she was having difficulty laying her egg.
You don't have your location listed, so I can only assume you may be in the US where it is summer. If that's the case she may not be drinking enough and overheating.

If she were mine, I would give some vitamins for a couple of days along with extra calcium and see how it goes.

Keep us posted.

Thanks all for the help! This is my first time raising chickens, so I appreciate all the advice and support for a newbie like me!

My hen is not eating as well. But no any other systemic symptoms and I have waited for at least 3 day for her to recover but still not eating.

Back
Top Bottom