Sick hen need suggestions

Winniethesilkie

Chirping
Oct 9, 2022
Wyoming
Pearl is sick and needs help. Shes 2 years old. Puffed up, moving slow. But she eats, drinks, and still goes for treats. I believe its been 2 days since she laid an egg. No diarrhea that I saw, a little watery poop but she had fruit this morning. I was worried she is egg bound so I tried an epsom salt bath, and have her secluded in a kennel with food and water. I dont see mites or lice, but dont have great vision.

Some facebook groups suggested a broad spectrum antibiotic. We have la200 or tylan 50 available. What is the dosage, how often, egg withdrawal? What should I do?

thank you!!

20230207_110025.jpg

She is definitely egg bound. Try giving her some TUMs if you have it (it will get her some extra calcium) and try to give her a warm, Epsom salt bath to try to get her to relax. If you are comfortable, you can stick a clean and gloved finger up her butt to feel if there is an egg stuck up in there.
Sadly, she looks like a golden comet (they go by many names like gold-sex link, red star, etc.) and they are extremely prone to this and other egg laying diseases such as egg yolk peritonitis and ovarian cancer. I had 7 of these and all of them passed away from egg yolk peritonitis around 3-4 years old. I wish you all the luck in getting her better!

She is definitely egg bound. Try giving her some TUMs if you have it (it will get her some extra calcium) and try to give her a warm, Epsom salt bath to try to get her to relax. If you are comfortable, you can stick a clean and gloved finger up her butt to feel if there is an egg stuck up in there.
Sadly, she looks like a golden comet (they go by many names like gold-sex link, red star, etc.) and they are extremely prone to this and other egg laying diseases such as egg yolk peritonitis and ovarian cancer. I had 7 of these and all of them passed away from egg yolk peritonitis around 3-4 years old. I wish you all the luck in getting her better!
Thank you so much!! Are "mixed berry" tums ok? I can give her some with yogurt, and ill try another epsom salt bath. She is a golden comet. I have 4 and wish I had known about their problems. I bought them because I cant have roosters, but I wont buy anymore because it's heartbreaking.

Also forgot to ask, should I give her vitamins or anything? At home I have vetrx, hen boost, and flockleader recovery 911

Back
Top Bottom