Sick hen...not eating or drinking

KatefromOz

Songster
5 Years
Sep 5, 2017
Hi, if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I got up this morning and one of my girls is just standing there. Not eating or drinking- she looks tired...almost like she is in a trance. I'm in Australia so its been hot here the past few weeks. She laid an egg on Wednesday but not Thursday (its Friday morning here).
The girls we probably due for worming, they were last wormed in March. My husband will be home in a few hours and is going to give her a good look over. Her crop had something in it and seemed squishy so that's a good sign, I think?. Any idea what I need to look for or do? Pic of my girl attached. We raised her from day old around 2 years ago.

Attachments

• 20201211_082959.jpg
    20201211_082959.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 6
Just went to check in her again and she is in the laying box. Will give her a little time up there and see what happens.

I have that problem with my chickens alot! What I always do is bring them into the bathroom where it's cool and their bodies can take a break. If she's too unresponsive to drink water, I get a syringe (not the needle kind) open her beak with my fingers, and squirt the water down her throat. The swallowing reflexes kick in and then she drinks it. I do a full syringe every 20 minutes. I also feed them deworming veggies to help with parasites and to thin their blood (because it's hot) and in about 3 hours they're good as new!

She could have a different problem but usually when that happens to my chickens it's heat stress and parasites

Thank you so muchfor your advice. It's not overly hot today so I'm not sure if the heat is the issue or not, it's hard to tell. I will give her water though because she will definitely need it. I will get my husband to worm the girls when he gets home too. She came out of the laying box but hadn't laid an egg so I will check to see if she might be egg bound too. I hope it's nothing serious. Poor darling- she is such a sweet girl.

I have that problem with my chickens alot! What I always do is bring them into the bathroom where it's cool and their bodies can take a break. If she's too unresponsive to drink water, I get a syringe (not the needle kind) open her beak with my fingers, and squirt the water down her throat. The swallowing reflexes kick in and then she drinks it. I do a full syringe every 20 minutes. I also feed them deworming veggies to help with parasites and to thin their blood (because it's hot) and in about 3 hours they're good as new!
They’re are no deworming veggies... I say this so people won’t be under the false impression that there are any natural remedies for worms - there are not unfortunately.

I would separate her for now without food and water and check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it’s empty and flat. There cross empty completely overnight and if they don’t then there is a problem. Can you describe any other symptoms besides lethargy?

Last edited:
I would separate her for now without god and water and check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it’s empty and flat. There cross empty completely overnight and if they don’t then there is a problem. Can you describe any other symptoms besides lethargy?

Thank you for that. I will check her crop first thing tomorrow. Physically she looks fine, her comb might be a little droopy but its still very red. Can't hear or see any breathing issues. I will give her crop a little massage and see if that helps her in any way. She seems to have perked up a bit like she's moving around a little now, but still won't eat or drink anything. My husband reckons she ate some bread when he got home from work but sometimes he gets 2 of my girls confused so who knows...also I don't think bread is the best thing especially if she has a crop issue. She still sort of looks like she is in a trance, always watching me when I am near. Her poop was a little watery but not too different to usual. That's all I can see at this stage.

My husband just gave her a thorough check over. He said her crop felt fine, she didn't have any breathing difficulties, no bad smells, but he did notice a few mice/lice under her wing. We dusted all the girls with pestene as well as their laying box area. I will clean out the coop in the morning. Its raining here and will be for the next 3 days very heavily so will do my best!

They’re are no deworming veggies... I say this so people won’t be under the false impression that there are any natural remedies for worms - there are not unfortunately.
I just give them good veggies like zucchini, garlic, pumpkin, carrots, bell peppers, jalapenos and cayenne which have natural deworming properties that paralyzes parasites and flushes them out. A lot of the time I blend those veggies and more all together for a healthy treat for the girls. Actual deworming medicine is probably more potent and effective, but I do this a lot and my chickens are worm-free and happy!

Back
Top Bottom