Sick Hen please help not sure what's wrong

so have this Hen, she is less then a year old. I've noticed that the last 3 days she just stays on her post in the coop, she's not eating, laying or chatting it up with the other Hen's. Her eyes are always closed. I have no idea what is wrong with her, but for sure she is not acting normal. Please advise....

Quote: You mention that she is not laying. When was the last time she laid and egg - what did it look like (normal, soft shell, etc.)?

How does her abdomen feel - hard, soft, squishy, bloated, fluid filled?

It's possible she could have some type of internal laying/reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Ascites, tumors or cancer.
Try to encourage her to stay hydrated, add some poultry vitamins to her water if you have them. Add some calcium to her diet by offering oyster shell free choice. She may also benefit from some "instant" calcium like giving her a crushed Tums or some liquid calcium (you can usually find this at the feed store).

Let us know how she is doing.

Excellent info going to try everything you said.

She stop laying 4 days ago, but 2 days ago she laid a very small round normal shelled egg, while sitting on the perch. I have not felt he abdomen but I will tomorrow morning, last time I picked her up she felt very light. Today I did notice she got off the perch to get water and peck around the coop while the others were free ranging but she did not leave the coop. I'll keep yah posted thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom