Sick hen! Please help!

kelbel313

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 20, 2013
One of my 2 yr old rhode island red is very sick. I noticed her comb was flopped over and pale about 2 weeks ago and she wasn't herself. I dewormed all 6 of them. Her comb seemed less pale but still wouldn't stand up. Today she was laying in the run on her side. She ate a little when I put it in front of but couldn't stand up..even when the other hens stepped on her. I brought her inside. She can't keep her eyes open for more than a few seconds. Her crop is full and seems hard. What should I do? Please help! I don't think she has much time.

Can you get some poultry vitamins with electrolytes, such as SaveAChick or another brand? Pedialyte or Gatorade will work temporarily, and try to get her to drink or feed her with a dropper. What did you use as a wormer? Has she been laying eggs recently? How does her breastbone feel--has she lost weight, or is her lower belly swollen? If her crop is full and hard, she really needs to have some water and electrolytes, then massage her crop several times a day. If you have any Colace or doccusate sodium stool softener, give her 2 capsules orally.

Can you get some poultry vitamins with electrolytes, such as SaveAChick or another brand? Pedialyte or Gatorade will work temporarily, and try to get her to drink or feed her with a dropper. What did you use as a wormer? Has she been laying eggs recently? How does her breastbone feel--has she lost weight, or is her lower belly swollen? If her crop is full and hard, she really needs to have some water and electrolytes, then massage her crop several times a day. If you have any Colace or doccusate sodium stool softener, give her 2 capsules orally.

She has definitely lost weight. I used striker to de worm them. I do not know if she has been laying but I doubt it bc lately I've only been getting 2 out of 6 eggs a day. She took some gatorade tonight through a syringe but she looks so weak and tired. She's limp when I hold her and my heart breaks bc I think she's dying. I have noticed a mucous coming from her mouth and nose. I have also massaged
Her crop which is much softer and less swollen. Praying for my sweet Helen

Sounds like she is has a crop impaction. Fibrous material like lots of grass/hay/straw/stemy weeds/foreign objects can become bound up inside the crop and cause a blockage.

Try crushed granite-based grit to help her break down the food. Chickens swallow small stones and grit to help break down their food. Also try offering some vinegar water on a regular basis. If the blockage is too large to break down, she may need to have the obstruction surgically removed from her crop. This can be done under local anesthetic. Hope this is helpful.
smile.png

I'm sorry for your loss. The state vet can perform a necropsy on her to find a cause of death, but it may be too late if her body was not refrigerated. Helen may have had one of the reproductive disorders such as internal laying, that tend to be common in hens of her age.

Thank you for your kind words. I do think she had a reproductive issue, she was notorious for laying broken eggs. Still wish there was something I could've done to save her.

Back
Top Bottom