Sick Hen...Please Help!!

any evidence of worms in her stool? She is doing that motion with her beak like she is trying to move food from her crop.

i had a hen with worms once who had some in her crop and was doing the same motion "burping", also lethargic. we had to deworm the hens and she got better. t

his same hen also has had sour crop.

examine her crop, is it hard, or feel like it has foreign objects in it- not just food and small pebbles. anything large or even moving might be worms

does it feel like a full balloon, soft and really balloon like? does the air smell foul coming from her mouth or when she does that "burp" movement. if you squish gently on her crop does air come out/ smell bad?

please bring her inside and begin treatment after assessment. she will need to be fed foods high in protein such as cooked egg, greek yogurt, and water with electrolytes from a dropper

How old is she? Is she laying eggs? I would get some Valbazen and treat her for worms with 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. If you can't find Valbazen, then look for Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer or Panacur or SafeGuard Horse paste. Try giving her some vitamins and electrolytes ( or SaveAChick) in her water, and really try to coax her to drink it, or give her some with a dropper. Foods such as chopped egg, tuna, or bread crumbs soaked in buttermilk or yogurt can tempt her to eat. Liquids are more important than food right now. How does her crop feel? Is she passing any droppings, and what do they look like? Keep her warm inside.

Shes under a year old. Shes a great producer. She hasn't laid an egg in 2 days now. My fiencee is a CVT at a local animal hospital so she is giving her the works over there! We will try the flavorful food to get her to eat. Shes not drinking by herself we are using a syringe to get it in. We use oil of oregano with the girls water so we want to get that into her also. Her poop is looking normal as far as color but its very runny. I guess due to no solid food just water? We did bring her inside to keep her warm and to protect the rest of the flock from getting anything if it is viral.

Thanks for the help!!
thumbsup.gif

Shes under a year old. Shes a great producer. She hasn't laid an egg in 2 days now. My fiencee is a CVT at a local animal hospital so she is giving her the works over there! We will try the flavorful food to get her to eat. Shes not drinking by herself we are using a syringe to get it in. We use oil of oregano with the girls water so we want to get that into her also. Her poop is looking normal as far as color but its very runny. I guess due to no solid food just water? We did bring her inside to keep her warm and to protect the rest of the flock from getting anything if it is viral.

Thanks for the help!!
thumbsup.gif

be sure to feed her food high in protein, even a little will give her some strength!

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom