sick hen..please help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hopefulloflove, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Ok...I went out about half an hour ago to feed my girls some scraps..they were all running around and seemed fine. I went over to my silkie coop and did a few things there that needed done. When I got back over to the main coop, one of my girls was just laying there...eyes closed. I called my daughter out, and she said that she noticed earlier that she was laying down, but didn't think anything of it at that point, cause the roo was on her...

She does'nt seem to be in any pain. We pick her up, we inspected her all over.. she seems a bit stiff, but pretty much will move however we put her..eyes closed for the most part. She will open them up if she hears a commotion. Please help...not sure what to do...oh,, we went ahead and seperated her from the rest of the flock...need help fast! Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh so sorry to hear that.....If her eyes are mostly closed and she's stiff and immobile, that's not good. Basically, all you can do is keep her comfortable. Maybe put her in a crate with some nice clean straw or shavings. You could try and give her a little bit of water with some vitamins/electrolites (or just some sugar if that's all you have).

Sometimes this does happen with chickens, where you never find out what went wrong. They can have strokes or heart attacks just like humans do. But for now, all you can do is keep her comfy, and see what happens.

HUGS to you and hang in there,

Sharon

3. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    She just died....I'm so sad....I wonder what it could have been. I know her comb got really cold and very pale...it's so sad....I am also hopefull that this is not something that is contagious....I wish I knew. It happened soo fast!!!

[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, I am so sorry to hear that. Did she display any other symptoms? I would think, if she was fine yesterday, then it may have been a heart attack. Unfortunately, things like this often happen, and we never truly know what went wrong.

Hugs to you and just keep your eyes open. I'll bet it's an isolated incident.

Sharon

5. Hopefulloflove

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    She didn't really show any other symptoms...She was fine and then all of a sudden she wasn't. She was just laying there with her eyes closed...weak..didn't want to stand..just wanted to lay there...poor girl. I loved her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by