sick hen please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ...chickenlover3..., Jan 29, 2014.

1. ...chickenlover3...

...chickenlover3... Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Rockford IL
    my hen is all puffed up and is not wanting to move at all. I offered her water and she didnt want to drink but I got her to drink a little bit. she will not eat ether. she was fine a couple of days ago but now from the blow zero weather she is going down fast. I didnt realize that she lost some weight till now. she seems to have a hard time breathing. what do you think I should do. she hasnt pooped since i brought her in the house but she has only been in for a little bit. i put her in a box with a towel and put her in a quiet spot.
  2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  3. BuffBuff123

BuffBuff123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    Köln, Germany
    I think that she might have either a:

1. Crop infection-- if she's young it can be treated, if she's an older hen, make her as comfortable as you possibly can

2. A heart problem-- especially if she looks wide/fat at the back, it can be treated for all ages of chicken, although she will live about 1 year before her heart can't take it anymore

3. Egg peritonitis-- where the egg falls into her gut, instead of out her... You know... If caught soon she will make a full recovery with antibiotics and surgery.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sick birds need a warm room. I keep mine at 80-85 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by