sick hen please help

...chickenlover3...

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Rockford IL
my hen is all puffed up and is not wanting to move at all. I offered her water and she didnt want to drink but I got her to drink a little bit. she will not eat ether. she was fine a couple of days ago but now from the blow zero weather she is going down fast. I didnt realize that she lost some weight till now. she seems to have a hard time breathing. what do you think I should do. she hasnt pooped since i brought her in the house but she has only been in for a little bit. i put her in a box with a towel and put her in a quiet spot.

I think that she might have either a:

1. Crop infection-- if she's young it can be treated, if she's an older hen, make her as comfortable as you possibly can

2. A heart problem-- especially if she looks wide/fat at the back, it can be treated for all ages of chicken, although she will live about 1 year before her heart can't take it anymore

3. Egg peritonitis-- where the egg falls into her gut, instead of out her... You know... If caught soon she will make a full recovery with antibiotics and surgery.

Back
Top Bottom