Sick hen please help!

chickennewbie88

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hi guys my hen is still acting weird I put two videos on YouTube there about a minute apart if you guys could watch them and tell me what you think I'd really appreciate it the title is "sick serama hen" and it's published by me Samantha Anderson please please please let me know what you guys think thank you all

I don't know how sorry I tried and can't figure out how to do it so I thought if you guys put the title "sick serama hen in the search bar you guys could find it it's published under Samantha Anderson

In the first video she appears to be sitting on her hocks, not moving much, and in the second she is keeping her beak tucked under her wing. There is not much to go on here without more details. She doesn't seem to want to walk or be able to. Is she having diarrhea or blood in her stools? Is she eating and drinking okay? Illnesses could include so many things such as coccidiosis, a vitamin deficiency, possible Mareks disease, an obstruction--just too many things could be wrong. Her age and any details would be helpful.

I don't know her age we got her and the rooster from a flea market I think she is younger though cause there were others in the cage that were with them and one rooster was not fully grown either she's still eating and drinking fine I gave them electrolyte vitamin mix and her poop was runny on Tuesday but solid and normal looking yesterday so I have No idea

I don't know her age we got her and the rooster from a flea market I think she is younger though cause there were others in the cage that were with them and one rooster was not fully grown either she's still eating and drinking fine I gave them electrolyte vitamin mix and her poop was runny on Tuesday but solid and normal looking yesterday so I have No idea

It could be just about anything, as Eggcessive said. If you have other birds I do hope you are quarantining these flea market birds well, well away from them.

I would probably start by checking carefully for lice/mites and deworming them with something effective and safe like Valbazen. Check their body condition, see if they feel in good weight or skinny and maybe weigh them if you can so you know if things change. And as mentioned coccidiosis is always a concern when birds are moved to new property so if you think there's any chance that's what this is just go ahead and run a course of Corid. Other then that about all you can do is feed them well and see how it goes, see if any other symptoms develop.

Ya I'm gonna try the corid and wormer and see if it helps I hope it does she's just so tired then fine then tired so I don't know thanks for all your advice though guys

Coccidosis could be a good possibility if she was raised with multiple aged chickens. With cocci, they can stop drinking due to abdominal pain, so the Corid should be started right away, and given orally with a dropper if she stops drinking. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1/5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, and treat all birds. I would also recommend that you treat her with vitamin B2 or riboflavin, in case she has a riboflavin deficiency.

Treat her for mites/lice too. She could be anemic from that. Maybe that's why she looks ruffled/chilled. I'd use 2-3 drops of Ivermectin myself.

Back
Top Bottom