Sick hen please help!

tnchickymomma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Philadelphia, TN
I have a 6 month old Polish hen. Only in a flock of 13. All hatched same day and raised together. She has suffered from feather picking that has created a bald spot on her head. We have tried BluKote with off/on success but bullying continues. We don't know who the aggressor is so we decided to rehome her with a friend, but not going until Tuesday. A couple of nights ago I went to lock the girls up and instead of her usual roost spot she was laying on a poop board across coop from rest of chickens. She usually walks away if you pet her and flaps like crazy if you pick her up, but she barely responded to either. Upon further observation she has nothing externally wrong other than bald spot. Legs and wings work just fine, waddles are red, eyes look normal. She has little fecal output and when does it is watery and white or bright green. Doesn't seem to be eating or drinking much on her own. Very lethargic. Did some research to try to figure out the problem and signs pointed to her being egg bound. Although I know this is not a common occurrence. I made her a space in the guest bathroom in a pet kennel with shavings to lay on, gave her water with liquid B12 vitamins and electrolytes in it and a cup of feed. Crushed a human 600 mg calcium supplement into a tea cup of water and have been giving that to her. 30 min soaks in warm water while massaging her abdomen. Did this for the first time last night and again this morning. Also gave her a little treat of yogurt strawberries oats vitamins in a crushed up Tums. She has not released an egg and is still laying down a lot and fairly lethargic but does seem to be perking up and more alert. Is very happy to have the water from the syringe when I give it to her. And ate some of her yogurt treat out of my hand this morning. Can it take a while for the egg to release? I was planning on going to tractor supply on my way home and getting her the calcium glucosinate to try that. Is there anything else I should be doing? If she is not egg bound is there anything else that I should be doing? Should I be giving her a dewormer and or an antibiotic? Please help, I just have to save this sweet girl for her new home.

Polish are always at the bottom of the pecking order in a flock even the cockerels sometimes. They are also quite well known for not absorbing vitamins and minerals from there food,that can make them lethargic and under the weather. I would continue with the liquid vitamins and maybe some boiled egg and tuna to tempt her to feed more. Also I would give her crest and eyes a good check. Sometimes with polish because of their fancy heads they can easily get lice mites living in there with could also make her under the weather. Another thing I think and its only my opinion is that she maybe a bit depressed if she has no flock mates and is being bullied. Also if she hasn't been wormed i don't think it would her any harm its another thing you could rule out then. Wishing you the very best of luck and hope she is better soon :frow

I raised a couple of polish hens with my mixed flock, and they suffered from getting the head feathers pulled out a few times until they were left alone. With my girls they alway hung with the lower pecking order "coop" chickens who were usually the other bantams. I always make sure there are multiple waterers and feeders, so these girls get their fair share. The BluKote has to be re-applied every other day, because when the pin feathers come back in, they will be very attractive to be pulled out again. If your friend has other chickens, she may be picked on worse there, especially since she will be introducing her alone. Trimming feathers that block her eyesight sometimes helps them see better.

We have been extremely diligent about keeping her coated with the BluKote and unfortunately it hasn't helped. We have plenty if space in both coop and run, two waterers and 3 feeders. I think if we had a few Polish it may be better but she is the only one
1f614.png
my friend doesn't have other Polish but does have a flock of smaller breeds and they are much more docile. I have a bunch of big bossy girls in mine. We got her by chance when we ordered a few assorted rare breeds. We are stopping treatment for egg binding. Giving her syringes full of vitamin and electrolyte enhanced water, and trying to feed her some chopped boiled egg. She is panting a bit so my husband is going to put some Vet Rx on the back of her neck and under her wings today. We would like to worm her, but aren't sure what to use. I was thinking Ivermectin, he is calling vets today to try and get some. Any other suggestions on worming? Should I give her an antibiotic also?

We have been extremely diligent about keeping her coated with the BluKote and unfortunately it hasn't helped. We have plenty if space in both coop and run, two waterers and 3 feeders. I think if we had a few Polish it may be better but she is the only one
1f614.png
my friend doesn't have other Polish but does have a flock of smaller breeds and they are much more docile. I have a bunch of big bossy girls in mine. We got her by chance when we ordered a few assorted rare breeds. We are stopping treatment for egg binding. Giving her syringes full of vitamin and electrolyte enhanced water, and trying to feed her some chopped boiled egg. She is panting a bit so my husband is going to put some Vet Rx on the back of her neck and under her wings today. We would like to worm her, but aren't sure what to use. I was thinking Ivermectin, he is calling vets today to try and get some. Any other suggestions on worming? Should I give her an antibiotic also?
If her wound is new I would use Neosporin ointment on it for a few days. She probably doesn't need an antibiotic if the wound is kept clean and neosporin used daily. The best 2 wormers for chickens are Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer-- 1/2 ml given orally and repeat in 10 days of either brand. Most feed stores carry SafeGuard. It does sound like she would be better off in the other flock if she is slowly introduced under supervision. Maybe in a cage inside the coop and runn for a few days?

Update on my little Polish girl:
Although no longer treating for egg binding, still getting nightly warm baths due to diarrhea on her feathers and cleaning her feather picked head. Blow drying and applying Neosporin. Still syringe feeding water with electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamins. TSC was temporarily out of Safeguard, but in the meantime we got Wazine and are treating her with that first (I figured better than nothing!). She pants with an occasional faint wheezing sound so getting daily applications of Vet Rx under wings and on back of neck. After tending to her this morning I left her kennel open and covered the floor with old towels. Left her water, feed, and a plate of chopped up tomato and boiled egg about a foot and a half outside the kennel door. Just peeked in on her and she was out, standing up, and digging into the plate with gusto! A good sign perhaps? Going to take her outside to be in the grass and sun shortly.

Back
Top Bottom