Sick Hen please help!

mrsmartin2001

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Virginia
I got a sick hen, I'm guessing she is sick. The rooster she was with pulled all the feathers out the top of her head, she is completely bald. I put her up in the cage sunday and she wont eat or drink and she just lays around. Is there anything I can do or am I gonna have to put her down?

Are you sure she is not just stressed to the max or possibly suffering shock? Make sure she isn't wounded anywhere. You can put lanolin on her bald spot. Lanolin is used to produce Vit D3, which is helpful for healing. Try giving her electrolytes and vitamins. Try some plain yogurt. Try hand feeding her.

She very well may be stressed. I have checked her and I didn't see any wounds on her. I tried to give her water by sticking her beak in the water pale, but she didn't want it. I do have a medicine dropper if you think that would work better. Thank you!

She may not like being up by herself. You can try giving her some warm scrambled egg and feeding her by hand along with giving her some ACV in her water to see if that will perk her up.
Most will eat yogurt on it's own but a few won't, and you can mix it with some layer feed to see if she'll eat that. Throw anything out that she doesn't eat after awhile so it doesn't spoil/mold and make her sick.
If you have some of the liquid Poly Vi Sol vitamins (w/out iron), you can try giving her 3 drops of that along her beak for a week and then dropping the dosage down for the next week until she's better. Sometimes when they get stressed, that will perk them back up.
Hope this helps!

If she has been/is drinking insufficiently then you should put electrolytes/vit in her waterer instead of the ACV for a few days...

Quote:
Agree---get those electrolytes in her! She may just be stressed to the max. Mine also like warm rice when they are sick.
wink.png
Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom