Sick hen, tail down (pic) please help if this looks familiar

Had a hen do this to me late November. Thought she was just in a rough molt but it was something more. Kept her alone for 5 days feeding her yogurt and eggs and layer mash and poly vi sol WITHOUT iron and she came around. Just laid her first egg again today. Good luck!

No, none of them have laid in months. I was away for 3 weeks in Sept. and had a housesitter taking care of them. Things looked ok, but who knows what really happened while I was gone. Since I got back, I got a handful of eggs over the next couple weeks and then nothing. About that time they started molting and molted for what I thought was a very long time.

I think I'm going to empty their continuous feeder and start fresh. I bough a new bag a food last week, so it should be fine, but I'll check it to be sure. I kind of thought they wouldn't eat bad mushrooms, but who knows. I feel pretty positive that she got sick from something she ate. But she was really in a bad way that first night and the next day.

The good news she is improving today. Yahhh. I think catching it early and nursing her along has made a difference. Hopefully, she recovers fully. She is still not moving much, and sleeping a lot, but I threw a grasshopper in the crate & she got it immediately! Yesterday she completely ignored live worms. Soon after the grasshopper, I saw her do a little preening on her neck.
smile.png

I'm still giving her water 2-3 times a day and keeping her warm with a heat light, but if she looks good tom. I might put her back in the coop for the day & keep her in warm in the crate at night for a few days. The other 3 hens still look fine, but I haven't let any of them out to range in the yard since this happened. They are so spoiled and the largest one is complaining loudly about the confinement
smile.png

I am so sorry about your girl. I do LOVE the Buff Orpington hens. So very sweet. I have two and they are love bugs. Last summer I applied mosquito repellent and then went out and loved on the girls. One of my hens got very sick. I am guessing that it was the mosquito repellent. Could it be something like that?

Also, maybe you could take a fecal sample to a vet. It would be cheaper than taking the hen in and they could send it out to a lab to check for parasites.

I hope she rallies soon. Your hens look so healthy and happy in the photo that you posted.

Regards,
Roberta

You might try giving her and or them bread soaked in vit D milk as well as hard boiled eggs for more protein, sorry to hear that she is in poor shape and, getting better. You could take the fecal to your local state lab for tests, they might do it for free, I know here in Va they do! Good luck and I hope she pulls through for you
smile.png
!

Back
Top Bottom