Sick hen - trying to diagnose so we can treat her

Corid is a super-gentle wormer. It's a good idea to treat the entire flock with a round once or twice a year as a preventative.

Unsure about the intensity of Safeguard on their systems.

If your mama doesn't improve, it might be worth trying the wormer... since, you know, last resort and all. I leave that to your good discretion. If it were me, I don't know if I could stand for my hen to linger without trying every single thing I could think of to help her. No judgement either way. :) I know you are doing the best for your girls, and I certainly understand your hesitation in using a wormer that could potentially be too much for her system. You could be right, though... Sometimes "inaction" is the best action.

Maybe @casportpony has some insight on the impact of Safeguard in a sick hen. Thanks, Kathy!

I hope she makes a full recovery. <3

MrsB

Last edited:
Corid is not a wormer, it's for treating coccidiosis.
big_smile.png

Safeguard is very safe and I have used it on some very ill birds and had no side effects. Keep in mind that I will not use it under these conditions:

• Hypothermic bird.
  • Unresponsive bird
  • Bird that can't hold head up
  • Dehydrated bird

-Kathy

I just wanted to let you know, after coming back to this post by accident today, that our hen lived for many happy years after I started this conversation. We got her a small coop with an attached run that we placed next to the big coop, within the larger run. She lived in there happily for many years, occasionally joining the rest of the girls in the larger run, but seeming to prefer her a private yard. She passed away after a brief illness about year ago, after what I think was a happy life. Thank you all who helped me with her.

Back
Top Bottom