sick hen - unusual stool & refusing most food

corviidae

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
Astoria, OR
My Coop
My Coop
hi everyone! I’ve got a lavender orpington named Tofu and she’s just over a year old and a bit underweight now. the last few days she’s been under the weather and today she has a REALLY nasty poop. I’ll show a pic and tell y’all what’s been going on.

We had run out of feed for about a day or two last week and needed to use a little more scratch than what we give them along with some forage we collect since they don’t free range. The last day of doing this we noticed her behaving lethargic (she wasn’t eating or drinking much and was inactive, and had some watery stool/diarrhea). A couple of other hens were also fluffy and we didn’t want to take chances, so we picked up corid. We started treatment based off a thread I found on this site and it’s been fine, but Tofu doesn’t seem to be getting better or worse. We took away their food that we leave in the run overnight to check for sour crop and her crop was still a little plump and soft so that’s when we separated her to also try treating sour/impacted crop.

It’s been maybe 4 or 5 days now since we noticed symptoms and she’s now in our hospital tractor to make sure shes eating because she lost weight and we noticed she is drinking EXCESSIVE amounts of water. Like, sat by the waterer for about half an hour and just kept drinking. She’ll eat bugs somewhat willingly and sometimes eggs we make for them, and she also happened to start molting.

This morning she had a poop I had NEVER seen before. I’m worried about whether or not it’s related to her kidneys or something I haven’t even thought of. We’re working on the preventative course for the corid right now, so she doesn’t have other water other than the medicated. I think it’s also important to note she has stopped laying and sometimes engages in behavior like digging a spot in our soil and sitting down to rest, and rests more in her tractor.

Does anyone have some advice or insight? My partner and I are trying our best here and we really don’t wanna lose our girl. She’s our baby. Thank you, guys. Sorry for the nasty photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5489.jpeg
    IMG_5489.jpeg
    909.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5487.jpeg
    IMG_5487.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 6
an additional note, on her first day in the tractor we withheld her pellets to ensure she got grit and gave her ACV with a scrambled egg. we didn’t want to keep her completely without food but we wanted to make sure her crop wasn’t impacted. It is now the morning after.

UPDATE: scratch literally everything i said above, it's an impacted crop that masqueraded as sour crop.

is there anything i can give her (food wise) to help her get nutrition? she's still thin. i have probiotic/nutrient powder mixed in with her water and i'm worried about her going without food for much longer. (it's going on 48 hours that we've withheld food). she has grit and we've been giving her coconut oil to massage the mass.

the mass is the size of a ping pong ball now. it's smaller than it has been. if I scramble an egg and cover it in oil, is that okay to feed her right now?

another update i guess

we ended up taking her to a vet and they found that she had ingested metal, in spite of how protective and obsessive we are about trying to keeping them safe. there was a blockage because her body was withering away from the metal. It was too much damage to her organs and she’s too weak to be operated on, she’s crossing the rainbow bridge today

Back
Top Bottom