Sick hen with dark colored comb....

Romochickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Northeast, Pennsylvania
I have a 3year old hen acting very listless. Her comb is a dark red to purple color, not eating, will drink only if I put the water right in front of her. Some swelling in her abdomen but hard to the touch. Not ascites have a hen with that and this is definitely not ascites. Any help or info is greatly appreciated..... I have a 3year old hen acting very listless. Her comb is a dark red to purple color, not eating, will drink only if I put the water right in front of her. Some swelling in her abdomen but hard to the touch. Not ascites have a hen with that and this is definitely not ascites. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.....

Have you felt her abdomen to ascertain if she may be egg bound? It may be a good idea to give her a warm bath...soak her for 15 - 20 minutes and feel her underside..massage gently towards her vent...hope this may help

I did a warm soak yesterday will try again tonight and see if helps. She just feels very hard for lack of a better word, her abdomen is not soft to the touch very stiff feeling. Made her eggs with olive oil but not interested in eating. She is isolated from everyone else. Stools are just liquid no form to them at all. I will do the soak again and see if helps. Thanks!

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom