sick hen with horribly swollen eye and gray mass growing...what to do?

Here's what I would suggest you do ASAP.

Wrap her in a towel so she can't move. Lay her on her side till she calms down. I've actually operated on many hens and they lay perfectly calm in this manner, especially if you can cover their heads with a towel but in this case you need to work on her head.

Then gently open her mouth and use q-tips, dipped in warm water and possibly betadine, and swab all the gunk out of the roof of her mouth till you get a clean sinus opening (the slit in roof of mouth). Then take a q-tip and put a big glob of Neosporin on it and shove it up into the sinus cavity (the neosporin, not the q-tip). Also wash out the eye using sterile saline solution and apply some neosporin to the eye as well. You can use antibiotic eye ointment if you have it but my vet says neosporin works just as well.

Repeat the process every day till it clears up. Wouldn't hurt to also give her a penicillin injection each day or the other antibiotics previously suggested.

Looks to me like a nasty sinus infection that is starting to rot. She needs her sinus opening, in roof of mouth, cleaned out so that it can drain.

My hen has had nasty swollen eyes for 3 weeks. I've tried Tylan, Baytril. I've put neosporin in on her eyes. I've cleaned them, fed her raw eggs by hand. I'm out of ideas.

My hen has had nasty swollen eyes for 3 weeks. I've tried Tylan, Baytril. I've put neosporin in on her eyes. I've cleaned them, fed her raw eggs by hand. I'm out of ideas.
How much does she weight and how much Baytril and Tylan you giving her?

Well, now she's 100%a except for a hard mass under one eye. How do i get rid of it? ???? Polymycin B and steroids really helped. But this mass has me stumped.

Back
Top Bottom