Sick hen?

southernmomx2

Hatching
Aug 8, 2015
I just got this hen yesterday and today she has bubbles in both eyes. What is it and what can I do? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BYC. Is it very cold where you are located? I would isolate this hen in a warm place and watch her for any nasal drainage, swelling around her eyes, sneezing, rattles or wheezing, or other symptoms of a respiratory disease called mycoplasma (MG, CRD.) This disease can make carriers of your flock if they are exposed.
I have a hen who started getting bubbles in her eyes whenever the weather is below freezing. She has no other symptoms, we have had no MG in our flock, so I'm thinking she has something wrong with her tear ducts. Here is a good link about mycoplasma gallisepticum and other respiratory diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It hasn't been too cold lately. Highs in the 50s lows in the upper 30s to low 40s but lots of rain. The lady I got her from didn't have her in a well covered pen, so she got wet alot.

Oxytetracycline and Tylan can be used to treat symptoms of MG, but you might want to return her to the breeder so that your other birds may not be infected if she has something.

Her head smells rotten.

Back
Top Bottom