sick hen.

Sallys Mom

Chirping
Apr 1, 2016
Our local vet suspects Marecks Disease. She started last Tuesday with a limp. On Wednesday the leg was worse and the diahreah started. Doc prescribed metacam and sent us home to watch her. We've switched her to high protein starter feed, vitamin/electrolyte water that we get in her via tomatoes and syringe. She's eating raw eggs, yogurt and right now, cat food. She's bright and alert and talkative. However she still has green, turning yellow diahreah. She can move her right leg, but does not trust where she is putting it, so she hops. I don't know what to do at this point. Earlier she was laying under our boat, in her own poop and my thought was to have her euthanized. She is our only chicken. She is,4-5 years old. She has been with us for over 2 years. She is very loved. I need help. I don't know what to give her or not give her.

Welcome to BYC! Ask your vet about checking her poop for worm eggs, coccidia and bacteria. I've seen a couple with lameness issues due to this, though they usually act sick.

-Kathy

He told me if I could get a sample for him he will check it. I got wormer tonight that I'll start her on tomorrow. They only had the corid powder. I'll talk to him tomorrow about how to dose it. I understand the treatments have to be given seperately. He still thinks it's Marecks. I don't think I agree, although I do accept it could be tumors.

Back
Top Bottom