Sick Hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by msazeeta, Jun 14, 2016.

1. msazeeta

msazeeta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Concord, CA
    My 1 year old leghorn hen, who is usually the most cocky and vocal of my flock has been acting strange for the last 2 days. She's laid 2 shell-less eggs and has been sitting in the same spot in the bushes today and yesterday. Usually when I come out to feed them she is the first to run up. I still see her eating and drinking but she is acting very slow and mopey, she is almost hunched over when she walks, as if she is roosting. Only other symptom is her poop looks a little runny and stained her backside. None of my other chickens are acting sick. If anyone could give me any ideas of what might be wrong with her or any ideas what I should do it would be greatly appreciated!

2. SkyWorld

SkyWorld Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    I am not an expert, but it sounds like your hen may need more calcium in her diet. I have one hen, Luna who is the most bossiest and vocal of the five birds and she lays soft eggs. Sometime she has a lot of troubles getting her egg out and my daughter gets a tums and mixes it with yoghurt. We also make sure the chickens get the crushed egg shells and oyster shells in their feed and feeding area. That may help, however there is more information if you dig into BYC website. If you can post a picture of your hen or look up the pooh you can get a good idea of what to do. Hope this help.

3. awarmrainyday

awarmrainyday Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Did you check her over really good to make sure she's not hiding any injuries? Check for mites? If you can't find anything I'd probably do what SkyWorld says and increase calcium. Whenever I notice someone is looking mopey (or when the malnourished ones from the neighbors show up) I always give them about 1cc of Nutri-Drench orally- not diluted- and a wet cat food for at least three days in a row. This usually perks them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by