Sick Hen

deerslayersmom

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2016
This is my first year raising chic kens, and, besides a freak power outage where we lost one chick, we have been able to successfully raise 6 hena, and, one unexpected rooster!! Tonight, my dog chased a couple hens, while I was in the backyard. I thought I had stopped her in time, but, about 15 minutes later I noticed a hen huddled in the run. Now, I hadn't really paid attention to all of the hens at this point, so, she may have been there prior to the dog incident. When I had come outside, the rooster had flown out of the run (there is only a small area that we haven't covered yet, and, he has NEVER flown very far, so, I was trying to get him to go bak into the run. Anyways, she is VERY lethargic, she CAN hold her head up, but, just doesn't???? I really don't think she will make it through the night, but, if that is the case, how do I determine if I need to protect the rest of the flock?? Should I, if she does pass, do a full scale disinfecting and scrubbing of the coop, and, run??? I went into this knowing that I would lose SOME of my girls, BUT, it's still hard, and, of course, I don't want to lose any more!!!

Place her in a basket or crate, and bring her inside to watch her more closely. Place her in a darkened room with food and water near her. Check her for open wounds or injuries quickly, and then leave her alone to rest. She may be in shock. In the morning, if she seems awake and alert, try to get her to take some water, and chopped egg or tuna. Let us know how she gets along, and I hope she is alright.

Thanks!!! I isolated her last night, and, when I checked on her before bed last night, she was at least holding her head up. This AM, she is alert and walking around!!!! I don't know if this happens, but, I really think she might have flown into something in her haste to get away from the dog!!!!

That is great news. Chickens get very scared after a possible attack. Hopefully she was just terrified, and now is better. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom