Sick hen.

ChickenMama2010

Chirping
Mar 6, 2018
Montana
I have a hen that's been sick for about a week and a half now, she's been on antibiotics due to an extremely swollen abdomen! She hasn't been able to walk much because of the stomach pain but this morning I noticed she was pooping huge chunks of meat that look like tumors maybe???? What does this mean. They're the size of quarters at least but no blood

This is what is in her poop. Not sure what to do

Attachments

• IMG_20180310_091934892.jpg
    IMG_20180310_091934892.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 7
Yes, that resembles lash egg material which is due to inflammation of the oviduct. Google salpingitis in hens, alook for TheChickenChick who has a good article about that. Some use antibiotics such as amoxicillin or Baytril to treat, but it may not help to cure her. She may live normally for some time, but it may eventually kill her.

Yes, that resembles lash egg material which is due to inflammation of the oviduct. Google salpingitis in hens, alook for TheChickenChick who has a good article about that. Some use antibiotics such as amoxicillin or Baytril to treat, but it may not help to cure her. She may live normally for some time, but it may eventually kill her.
OP said her abdomen was quite swollen. Does ascites go along with salpingitis?

The swelling has gone down tremendously since I put her on antibiotics! But she had lumps in her belly as well then started passing the meat chunks. I will keep the antibiotics going and see if she starts being more mobile. THANK YOU

OP said her abdomen was quite swollen. Does ascites go along with salpingitis?
A swollen belly can be full of lash eggs or fluid. Most of the time we never know exactly (without vets and xrays) until after death. I recently lost older several hens who were skinny with full lower bellies, and 3 had ascites fluid which was dark amber. None had egg matter or lash eggs. It can help us all learn feom doing a necropsy. I haven’t done many, but it really helps ro see what was going on. Taking pictures and posting back here can be helpful to others.

I'm no expert so I'm asking so I can also learn... would it help to give her an epsom salt bath? Even on her lower half?
I'd think it might help sooth her abdomen & relax her muscles to pass anything else that might be there & help her start walking more again.

Back
Top Bottom