Sick hen

newbie2this

Chirping
Apr 14, 2015
ok, so I have a fecal going to the vet today just in case, but want some opinions.

Noticed Sunday that she had a very messy vent. Cleaned her up and plucked some feathers away- only to find she was already missing a lot of feathers down there. She was still eating, and acting ok- so Monday I went to check on her and cleaned her up again, and noticed her keel bone was missing a lot of muscle mass- so she is in quarantine now. Still eating and drinking.

I have added Apple cider vinegar to her water, and had some antibiotics on hand so I started them as a “just in case”. In 4 years of owning them now.... first time I’ve had one fall ill like this . Her lower abdomen is swollen feeling, her vent area is still a little messy, and there is some definite weight loss..... ideas?

The fecal float test will rule out parasites. If you also order a gram stain test for bacteria, extra cost, that can tell you what sorts of bacteria may be infecting this hen.

You need to do an exam, beginning with crop. Before you feed your hen this morning, feel the crop to see if it's still full. It should be flat and empty. If the crop has something in it before she eats, that can indicate crop issues that could be making her sick.

What does the poop look like? Yellow? White? Green? Brown? Runny? Poop can be a road map to what might make a hen sick.

Feel down between her legs in the lower abdomen. Is it fat? Soft? Any hard lump?

Check her all over for redness and swelling or any open sores that could be infected. Feathers can hide serious injuries that can get infected without us even knowing they're there, and infection can make a hen very sick. Don't forget the feet and legs. Check leg scales to be sure they are flat and not crusty and swollen.

Ok, so it came back as hookworms??!! But a lot of the reading I have done says chickens don’t get Hooks??!! Ugh..... I have dewormed and have her on Doxy.... wondering if she’s eggbound?! She’s really swollen down near the vent area. Going to give a warm bath today. She is eating, drinking, and pooping. All looking normal. Her rear area isn’t as messy either.

Oh- and my vet is chicken savvy... she has them and is an avian vet. So I trust that she found hookworms. I’m a little concerned for me too. Should I be worried that I could have gotten them?

A diagnosis is worth a lot in peace of mind. You're lucky to have a chicken vet.

Hook worms are rare in chickens, but they can get them if they are present in the soil where you live. Usually dogs get them since dogs, well, dogs do what dogs do. You could get them, not from the chickens, but by walking barefoot on your soil.

Well, we live in the country- lots of wildlife, and I mean I have gone back there barefoot on rare occasion. Ugh- hopefully that’s all that’s wrong with her, and she will get better and we don’t spread it to any of the dogs/cats

A diagnosis is worth a lot in peace of mind. You're lucky to have a chicken vet.

Hook worms are rare in chickens, but they can get them if they are present in the soil where you live. Usually dogs get them since dogs, well, dogs do what dogs do. You could get them, not from the chickens, but by walking barefoot on your soil.

Back
Top Bottom