Sick hen

May 22, 2019
This morning my husband went to check on our hens and eggs, and one of our Silver Laced Wyandotte was laying by the door, very lethargic. It looks like the other hens have been pecking her quite a bit as well. She has a patch of back feathers missing and the top of her comb is bloody. She opens her eyes when you pick her up, but closes them shortly after, doesn't fuss or try to get away when we picked her up. Her waddle is pale as well. She is about 8 months old. We put her in a crate with fresh bedding, water and feed, but had to leave for the day. We are pretty sure she isnt going to make it through the day. Any suggestions would be great. This would be our first sick hen in the 4 years of owning our girls.

Even beginning to try to fix a sick chicken requires that you be there to first examine her from head to toe for clues, and to monitor treatment.

In lieu of your returning home to care for her, I'm afraid you're right. She likely won't make it through the day, or if she does, lack of care may put her seriously behind and make it harder to fix what ails her.

Even beginning to try to fix a sick chicken requires that you be there to first examine her from head to toe for clues, and to monitor treatment.

In lieu of your returning home to care for her, I'm afraid you're right. She likely won't make it through the day, or if she does, lack of care may put her seriously behind and make it harder to fix what ails her.

Unfortunately, we aren't able to be home. We did the best examination we could before we had to leave. I just wanted to make her as comfortable as possible. And talked to our girls about the possible outcome

How is this hen? Did she make it through the day? If so, I would start by bringing her inside to a warm, calm location.
Unfortunately, she did not make it. We had brought her inside, and made her comfortable. We have a devastated 7 year old. This is the first hen we have lost in 5 years of having hens.

You can send in her refrigerated (not frozen) body to your state poultry vet for a necropsy to find the cause of death. It can be helpful in case there was something that might affect other chickens. Some of us do brief necropsies at home where we can look for obvious problems with organs.
Take pictures if you do that and post pics of organs. Crop disorders, reproductive infections, Mareks disease, and others can kill young pulletsat 8 months. Once other chickens notice something is wrong, they will sometimes peck and pick on sick birds. Very sorry for your loss.

Oh i am so sorry! :hugs:hugs:hugsmictrachan said right. chickens really conquer us and when they pass we feel so bad. i lost two chickens three weeks ago so i really understand you :hugs:hugs:hugs big big hug :hugs

You can send in her refrigerated (not frozen) body to your state poultry vet for a necropsy to find the cause of death. It can be helpful in case there was something that might affect other chickens. Some of us do brief necropsies at home where we can look for obvious problems with organs.
Take pictures if you do that and post pics of organs. Crop disorders, reproductive infections, Mareks disease, and others can kill young pulletsat 8 months. Once other chickens notice something is wrong, they will sometimes peck and pick on sick birds. Very sorry for your loss.
That is great to know! I will see if my husband still has her. Thank you for this information!!

Back
Top Bottom