Sick hen

I’ve been using vetericyn plus
And Vitamins and electrolytes with lacto bacillus in her water
I’ve been making sure she drinks it
Like I said in my previous post I got rid of the maggots the first day I noticed so there is no more maggots!!!
Good call on the eggs she finally ate

I’m concerned because there’s a large mass
Not sure what to do about this
I’ve been soaking her once a day
But that’s really stressful on her or I would like to do more and if she’s eggbound Not sure what else to do but soak her
Waiting for a response from anyone
1Peace

She might have a internal infection
And still not eating
There is a mass on the wound
she’s weak
I’m concerned because there’s a large mass
Not sure what to do about this
I’ve been soaking her once a day
But that’s really stressful on her or I would like to do more and if she’s eggbound Not sure what else to do but soak her
Is she pooping? What's that look like?

There's often an underlying illness or condition that contributes to FlyStrike.
She may have some reproductive problems - Peritonitis, cancer or one of a few other conditions that laying hens are prone to have.
If the wound is healing, then treating it with triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn spray a couple of times a day may be sufficient instead of stressing her by soaking.
Clean the wound regularly/as needed too.

Do you notice if she feels like she's bloated or has fluid in the abdomen between the legs?

Sometimes all you can do is treat the symptoms - get her hydrated, encourage eating. If you feel an antibiotic is needed, then contact your vet or if you are in the US, you can order something like Amoxicillin online.

Is she pooping? What's that look like?

There's often an underlying illness or condition that contributes to FlyStrike.
She may have some reproductive problems - Peritonitis, cancer or one of a few other conditions that laying hens are prone to have.
If the wound is healing, then treating it with triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn spray a couple of times a day may be sufficient instead of stressing her by soaking.
Clean the wound regularly/as needed too.

Do you notice if she feels like she's bloated or has fluid in the abdomen between the legs?

Sometimes all you can do is treat the symptoms - get her hydrated, encourage eating. If you feel an antibiotic is needed, then contact your vet or if you are in the US, you can order something like Amoxicillin online.
Hi
Yes she is swollen but pooping
Brown now yesterday it was mixed and clear
After I soaked her she’s been sleeping all day not moving at all
1peace

Attachments

• 083C8442-B626-44CC-A093-A224B8609185.jpeg
    083C8442-B626-44CC-A093-A224B8609185.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 0
Is your girl still with us? I would stop wetting her. Can you provide a heat source? That's great there were no maggots. Sometimes, though, there are fly eggs that hatch and create more maggots later, so you should check again if she is still alive. So sorry she’s not doing well.

Back
Top Bottom