Sick hen

1peace

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2020
Hi
I’m not big on typing
I have a hen that I notice she had a dirty butt so when I looked I found maggots I believe so immediately I cleaned her up and been given her electrolytes along with her food and water but she seems like she don’t want to eat but she will drink little help please
1Peace

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 26
Get her in some soapy water, and get the maggots off of her right away. If she is too weak, spray some on her vent. Use a magnifier and tweezers if necessary. Do you have any SWAT or permethrin spray. Those will kill maggots on contact. The maggots will continue to hatch out for a day. Repeat the bath in the morning. Apply some Vetericyn or chlorhexidene to her vent for helping to prevent infection.

Is the wound on her vent or below it?

She might have a internal infection
And still not eating
There is a mass on the wound
she’s weak
I’m concerned because there’s a large mass
Not sure what to do about this
I’ve been soaking her once a day
But that’s really stressful on her or I would like to do more and if she’s eggbound Not sure what else to do but soak her
Is she pooping? What's that look like?

There's often an underlying illness or condition that contributes to FlyStrike.
She may have some reproductive problems - Peritonitis, cancer or one of a few other conditions that laying hens are prone to have.
If the wound is healing, then treating it with triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn spray a couple of times a day may be sufficient instead of stressing her by soaking.
Clean the wound regularly/as needed too.

Do you notice if she feels like she's bloated or has fluid in the abdomen between the legs?

Sometimes all you can do is treat the symptoms - get her hydrated, encourage eating. If you feel an antibiotic is needed, then contact your vet or if you are in the US, you can order something like Amoxicillin online.

I’m thinking below it her vent
I already cleaned her up and removed the maggots and treated the wound with that spray before I asked any questions
I was in freaked out mode
And Immediately went to work on her
Now I’m just cleaning and spray in
Thanks for responding
1peace

I’ve been using vetericyn plus
And Vitamins and electrolytes with lacto bacillus in her water
I’ve been making sure she drinks it
Like I said in my previous post I got rid of the maggots the first day I noticed so there is no more maggots!!!
Good call on the eggs she finally ate

Back
Top Bottom