Sick hen

Starzy

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
Hi Folks,

we have 6 girls, 5 of whom are golden laced Wyandotte like this gal. We call her “Numero Seis” as she is usually lagging behind the others when you call. Starting yesterday, I noticed her mostly idle, puffed up and tucking her head down or even under a wing. We are in W WA and it’s in the 40’s, pretty mild. This hen is our only one whose comb and wattle have not grown and remain kind of pink rather than bright red.

They are in a large fenced area, about 800 SF with plenty of food, water, and stuff to do.

should I worry about her?
3279329F-E315-4E1D-9465-1369DDEE9EFE.jpeg
AD8CAE15-0E60-4EFA-8200-E059458F43E9.jpeg

For starters, the hen on the right in this pic is a Golden Laced Wyandotte. Your hen appears to be a Welsummer.
01B1C4BD-9124-48F9-ABD7-27353B312072.jpeg
Have you checked your hen's crop? She may have a crop disorder. This will tell you what to look for. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Has she reached point of lay? Are the others laying?

How old is she?

Could she have eaten something moldy or rotten? Do the chickens dig in a compost pile? I've had chickens die from stuff they've found in my compost pile.

How is her poop? Post a pic if you can.

Thank you for getting me to all the info on crop problems. We’ll try to determine if this is the problem. She is about 10 months old. Her mates are laying but I’m not sure about her. We will isolate her today to check poop and give just water. The hens have had compost available but not for the last 2 weeks when they have been only in the fallow garden.

What do her droppings look like? Her crop should feel empty and flat in early morning. If it is full and hard or puffy, it might be a problem. Pullets her age do not usually suffer from coccidiosis, but some with problems may have it. Symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up (as she is,) not eating, and runny droppings. Corid (amprollium) in the water is the treatment. If she has not been laying, a reproductive disorder may be a problem. She also might be cold, especially if she has not been eating. I would not separate her long, but just for a day or two until you can observe her and see how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom