Sick hen

Delbi255

Chirping
Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Can you help me find out what's wrong with my 2 year old hen? It's been like that for 2-3 weeks.
Screenshot_2022-08-09-15-58-00-471_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Can you give us some details of her symptoms? Is she the one hwo is standing more upright with her tail down? Has she been laying eggs? How old is she? Hens who are suffering from reproductive disorders may look like this. Is she eating and drinking? Does her crop feel full or empty overnight? What do her droppings look like?

Can you give us some details of her symptoms? Is she the one hwo is standing more upright with her tail down? Has she been laying eggs? How old is she? Hens who are suffering from reproductive disorders may look like this. Is she eating and drinking? Does her crop feel full or empty overnight? What do her droppings look like?
When she stands, her tail is down, she poops normally, and when she eats, she sits. She lays eggs every 2-3 days. I don't know if it might be because of the high temperature lately or because of one of my roosters. She is 2 years old.

It's not high temps. Exactly when did she lay her last egg? Generally speaking, that's the stance of an eggbound hen.
Before she lowered her tail, she laid an egg the day before. After two days since she dropped her tail, she laid the egg again. The last time she laid an egg was 3 days ago.

Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides for about 30 minutes. The warm water will relax her as well as her innards.
While she is soaking in the warm water, place your hand under her and gently massage her underside front to rear. This will encourage her to move the egg along.
After a period of time, put on a disposable glove and put either olive oil or vegetable oil just inside her vent. The lubrication will make it easier for her to lay the egg. You might even feel the egg while applying the lube.
Do this as you feel as necessary. Sometimes they lay an egg in the water.
Hopefully she's not egg impacted nor has some other reproductive problem because she sounds like she's an excellent layer. Good luck.

Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides for about 30 minutes. The warm water will relax her as well as her innards.
While she is soaking in the warm water, place your hand under her and gently massage her underside front to rear. This will encourage her to move the egg along.
After a period of time, put on a disposable glove and put either olive oil or vegetable oil just inside her vent. The lubrication will make it easier for her to lay the egg. You might even feel the egg while applying the lube.
Do this as you feel as necessary. Sometimes they lay an egg in the water.
Hopefully she's not egg impacted nor has some other reproductive problem because she sounds like she's an excellent layer. Good luck.
Thank you!

A Calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D can also help her to lay an egg if that is her problem. Use the human kind 1 a day given orally until she lays.
Thank you very much. I hope she gets better and doesn't die. I've had a couple of cases with older hens that had some kind of liquid inside where the eggs are being produced and they died in 1-2 days. I once slaughtered one because it was suffering so much and the liquid was yellow. For this hen, I don't know if it's just an eggbond or something worse since I didn't check, but I hope it's just an eggbond and that it will be fine afterwards. Sorry if I wrote something wrong in English because I don't really know it 😀.

Back
Top Bottom