Sick hen

Another thing I'd like to add. We recently (2wks) switched to an all flock feed instead of layer pellets because of our new rooster. But they have a small feeder of calcium at all times.

No I mean like sub q fluids. I just don't know anything about those with chickens. I'm used to cats and dogs and rats on those. Just thinking about hydration. She did drink a little water. Not really up for doing that now but I figured I'd ask in case it came to that. It's there a better way for chickens?

Could it be the switch on food? We keep 10 hens and one rooster in a coup with a room. They've got a good bit of space but I also let them out regularly for free ranging. We just try to keep it eating and laying to the run and coop. I added the rooster about 6wks ago and he was about 9 weeks old. Gave him a little humility and he's doing really well with the hens. He is beginning to practice on them. But so far he has not been a vicious cereal rapist. She was a higher ranking member so he didn't mess with her too much anyway. So I don't think he would have hurt her. The top of her head and her comb did look pecked at. But I've seen a couple of the girls bullying a little since she's not feeling well. I'm wondering if this food change could be a problem? When you have 10 hens and one rooster do you feed the rooster laying pellets or do you give them all flock feed and offer endless calcium?

I'm just kind of at a loss. Some of y'all mentioned calcium citrate on some other posts. Just like for people? How much would you give them?

No I mean like sub q fluids. I just don't know anything about those with chickens. I'm used to cats and dogs and rats on those. Just thinking about hydration. She did drink a little water. Not really up for doing that now but I figured I'd ask in case it came to that. It's there a better way for chickens?
Not sure if you can do sub q on chickens, it would be better to just tube feed or use a dropper to get fluids in her. Or you could make a mash with the chicken feed by adding water to it.

Could it be the switch on food? We keep 10 hens and one rooster in a coup with a room. They've got a good bit of space but I also let them out regularly for free ranging. We just try to keep it eating and laying to the run and coop. I added the rooster about 6wks ago and he was about 9 weeks old. Gave him a little humility and he's doing really well with the hens. He is beginning to practice on them. But so far he has not been a vicious cereal rapist. She was a higher ranking member so he didn't mess with her too much anyway. So I don't think he would have hurt her. The top of her head and her comb did look pecked at. But I've seen a couple of the girls bullying a little since she's not feeling well. I'm wondering if this food change could be a problem? When you have 10 hens and one rooster do you feed the rooster laying pellets or do you give them all flock feed and offer endless calcium?
It could be the change in food, does she and the others eat it? Do they like it?

Continue with the penicillin. It's possible she is egg bound with a collapsed egg. If that's the case, you have saved her life by starting her on the penicillin quickly. The only other critical thing she needs right now is a calcium citrate tablet. Get it at walmart. One a day to help contractions push the egg remains out.

Back
Top Bottom