Sick Hen

Thanera

Songster
Nov 21, 2020
Panhandle of NE
Hi everyone, about 7 days ago my hen was showing signs of being egg bound and I did a warm bath and checked her vent (didn't notice anything). I also started her on some amoxy-tyl for any infection she might have. She didn't get worse but she also didn't really improve all that much. She would just stand with the flock, go to bed early in the coop, and just not participate in any normal activities. I found her laying in the run two days ago and brought her inside. She's just lethargic/weak but her eyes are clear, she is pretty alert and she is breathing all right, a little pale. She has been sleeping most of the time but she will drink water on her own and nibble a little bit of food (but not much). She might stand occasionally but otherwise just sleeps. She is having bowel movements but her poop is mostly yellow waterish (not foamy or anything). I'm not sure if I should try to make her eat more food or maybe something else might be wrong? No other chickens are sick, she is about 3 years old, and has egg troubles in the past. I'm trying all her favorite food to try and spark her appetite.
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_5a431e48-aed4-4191-a074-be8dd5bc136a.jpg

Yes, Tums help. I give about half a Tum at a time, usually after the warm bath.

Have you done a digital inspection? It's not essential but someone's I've been able to feel the egg and other times pull out a soft shelled egg that had not been able to be passed.

So, she can't be completely egg bound if she is pooping, but the egg may have broken inside her. You want to be giving her a calcium supplement frequently. I have heard that calcium citrate is the most bio-available kind and it is good to have D3 with it, but start her on any calcium you have right now. Does her poop look like there is any egg in it? Did the amoxicillin seem to help at all?

What signs did you first see that made you think she was egg bound?

Here is an article about egg binding.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/

So, she can't be completely egg bound if she is pooping, but the egg may have broken inside her. You want to be giving her a calcium supplement frequently. I have heard that calcium citrate is the most bio-available kind and it is good to have D3 with it, but start her on any calcium you have right now. Does her poop look like there is any egg in it? Did the amoxicillin seem to help at all?

What signs did you first see that made you think she was egg bound?

Here is an article about egg binding.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/
Unfortunately she passed away today. There was no egg in her poop during the whole thing. The reason I thought she might be egg bound at the start was she was just standing around, "Hunkered down", eyes closed when she could. I've had an egg bound hen in the past who acted the same way and I was able to treat her with a warm soak and it resolved after a few hours. The Amoxi didn't help at all. I take heart that she ate a few of her favotire treats the last few days and she was safe and comfortable with me when she passed. I'm very sad to have lost her.

Unfortunately she passed away today. There was no egg in her poop during the whole thing. The reason I thought she might be egg bound at the start was she was just standing around, "Hunkered down", eyes closed when she could. I've had an egg bound hen in the past who acted the same way and I was able to treat her with a warm soak and it resolved after a few hours. The Amoxi didn't help at all. I take heart that she ate a few of her favotire treats the last few days and she was safe and comfortable with me when she passed. I'm very sad to have lost her.
Sorry about your hen!

If you haven't already, you should consider a necropsy if you have other chickens. Unknowns like this can be a threat to the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom