Sick hen!!

so I gave her round one of safeguard last night. Pretty much the same this morning she hasn’t left the roost although she did eat a few mealworms which she refused yesterday morning. How long before I would start to see some improvement? Also this is pictures of her poop this am idk if that helps or not

Attachments

• IMG_6482.jpeg
    IMG_6482.jpeg
    986.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 6
I had a hen had the same problem. After I dewormed her, she started to eat in 24h and became much better in 48h. I would say if you don't see any improvement in 2~3 days, it might be a different issue. Also check if there are mites or lice around her vent. If possible, syringe feed her some water.

I had a hen had the same problem. After I dewormed her, she started to eat in 24h and became much better in 48h. I would say if you don't see any improvement in 2~3 days, it might be a different issue. Also check if there are mites or lice around her vent. If possible, syringe feed her some water.
Okay thanks that’s encouraging. No lice or mites. I have been giving her water and electrolytes with a syringe as well.

Okay thanks that’s encouraging. No lice or mites. I have been giving her water and electrolytes with a syringe as well.
Every symptoms my hen had were identical to yours: weak, not eating, not leaving roost, she's the only one chicken acted sick, dirty butt & runny yellow poo, etc. However, these symptoms could also caused by other illness, so if deworming does not work, try to find another treatment. I treated mine with Corid first, no luck. Then I dewormed her, she quickly recovered. I planed to try antibiotics if deworming failed, since I have respiratory disease in my flock. People here usually are very helpful to give you ideas for treatments. Good luck with your girl! You did great job to save her.

Every symptoms my hen had were identical to yours: weak, not eating, not leaving roost, she's the only one chicken acted sick, dirty butt & runny yellow poo, etc. However, these symptoms could also caused by other illness, so if deworming does not work, try to find another treatment. I treated mine with Corid first, no luck. Then I dewormed her, she quickly recovered. I planed to try antibiotics if deworming failed, since I have respiratory disease in my flock. People here usually are very helpful to give you ideas for treatments. Good luck with your girl! You did great job to save her.
Thank you, that is encouraging!! I’m hoping she starts to turn it around a little tomorrow. I got the second dose of safeguard in her tonight and I got her some water via syringe which she seemed to be more accepting of this evening. We’ll see what tomorrow holds. Hoping for the best as she’s a really sweet gal.

Glad she's improving, some probiotics can help get the gut back in balance. There are livestock ones, like Probios, there are Sav-a-chick probiotics that can be mixed in the water, or you can use human ones, or some fermented feed can help.
Good luck, hope she continues to improve. Make sure to complete the medication doses, no matter how good she looks. The meds kill the parasites, but not the eggs they lay, so repeated treatments are needed to get all those as they hatch, til they are all gone. Otherwise you will just go round in circles.

I was encouraged after she was showing interest in water this morning but she ended up passing this afternoon. I feel bad because she was one of my favorites, but I feel like I did everything I could to try and save her. It’s part of life and a part of livestock/pet ownership, I suppose it can’t always be great. Anyway, thank you again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom