Sick hen

Thomaswgordon

Songster
May 27, 2022
Maryland
Found barred rock hen 2 years old to be mostly sitting and looking tired today. Comb more pale than normal. Liquid poop with no signs of worms or blood and didn’t see any mites or lice on her. She for the most part let me inspect her without running which is abnormal for her. I’m not sure if she’s been laying recently or not. I just cleaned out water and added hydro hen to it.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9886.jpeg
    IMG_9886.jpeg
    734.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9885.jpeg
    IMG_9885.jpeg
    983.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9883.jpeg
    IMG_9883.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9882.jpeg
    IMG_9882.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 7
Anybody???? Her comb seems it’s getting more pale and she’s been hunched on the roost bar since I’ve made this post. I’m debating an epsom bath but not sure how to go about it or how much to use.

Hi I’m sorry about your hen. It can be difficult to tell what is wrong sometimes. But let’s start with the basics.

Has her crop been flat in the morning? How does it feel now?

Has she been dewormed ever?

How does her abdomen feel? Can you by chance feel an egg?

Also what is her diet? Does she get treats?

Her stance suggests abdominal pain.

I would give her a warm bath and one tablet if calcium citrate 600+D3 to help with the contractions in case she is struggling to get a shell-less egg out.
You can give her the extra calcium for several consecutive days as it will also help to build a proper eggshell.

Keep her butt clean and dry to prevent deadly fly strike.

Deworming could be helpful too.

Last edited:
Hi I’m sorry about your hen. It can be difficult to tell what is wrong sometimes. But let’s start with the basics.

It doesn’t feel very full now. I didn’t feel it in the morning. She did just eat some flock raiser crumble out of my hand and I put her beak to the water to get her to drink some. Never dewormed. Occasional strawberry stems but that’s it for treats. Mostly stay in run but occasional free range in yard. I’ve never really felt around abdomen so not quite sure what to feel for.

Her stance suggests abdominal pain.

I would give her a warm bath and one tablet if calcium citrate 600+D3 to help with the contractions in case she is struggling to get a shell-less egg out.
You can give her the extra calcium for several consecutive days as it will also help to build a proper eggshell.

Keep her butt clean and dry to prevent deadly fly strike.

Deworming could be helpful too.
Ok how do I give the calcium and epsom bath? How much epsom to water ratio. We trimmed her butt a month or so ago to clean it up. What dewormer do you recommend

Ok how do I give the calcium and epsom bath? How much epsom to water ratio. We trimmed her butt a month or so ago to clean it up. What dewormer do you recommend
Fill a plastic tub with luke warm water and dissolve two tablespoons of epsom salt in it. The water should reach up to her wings covering the entire abdomen and vent area.
Then sit the hen in it for about 10-15 minutes gently cleaning her butt. Don't let the water go cold.

Take her out and dry well with clean towels and blow dryer on low setting.

Then sit her on your lap with her head facing front, grab her wattles with one hand and pull down until she opens her beak. Immediately slip the tablet into her beak with your other hand and let go of the wattles so she can swallow.

Then let her rest in a warm and quiet dim space.

Let us now how she gets along.

She was moving a little more this afternoon but still not back to normal. We just gave a bath and gave the calcium. Her vent maybe looks inflammed and she just had a very watery poop.

We have been having often broken eggs, just had another from a different hen. Can I give them all a calcium pill to help? They have access to oyster shell.

Attachments

• IMG_9892.jpeg
    IMG_9892.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 4

Fill a plastic tub with luke warm water and dissolve two tablespoons of epsom salt in it. The water should reach up to her wings covering the entire abdomen and vent area.
Then sit the hen in it for about 10-15 minutes gently cleaning her butt. Don't let the water go cold.

Take her out and dry well with clean towels and blow dryer on low setting.

Then sit her on your lap with her head facing front, grab her wattles with one hand and pull down until she opens her beak. Immediately slip the tablet into her beak with your other hand and let go of the wattles so she can swallow.

Then let her rest in a warm and quiet dim space.

Let us now how she gets along.
Just tagging you so you know of the update

Back
Top Bottom