Sick Hen

Jasper_899

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Alaska
Okay I have an older Buff Orpington hen that has been off for a while now. Ever since I brought her home from the fair. I'm guessing she has come into contact with a contagious disease. I'm not sure what is though I'm hoping some experts on here can help me diagnose her.
Her symptoms are: Seems Depressed, I never see her eat or drink, Doesn't not free range with the other chickens or eat treats. Her abdomen seems hard and its not soft like it used to be, I can see her crop , but cant feel anything in it. Her comb has flopped over and the tip has even turned purple. And lately her poop is really watery and green and white. She can barely walk and just wants to stand in one place.

Right now I have in a big dog kennel in my garage so she can stay warm, but I'm not sure what else to do for her. She just looks so sad and we are debating weather to put her down or not.
sad.png

If anyone knows what this could be, I would greatly appreciate and tips.
wink.png

Thanks

She could be an internal layer. There is not a whole lot you can do for that. The purple comb usually means lack of oxygen. Chicken lungs are located up towards their backs, so if they swell up on the inside the lungs get squished against the back and they have a hard time breathing. Watery green & white poo usually indicate she is not processing food.

You can try giving her yogurt, put a pillow under her chest to prop her up & help her breathe easier. Check her crop, just in case that's the problem.......

Last edited:
Quote:
I figured there was an egg stuck since she stopped laying, but shes almost 5 years old too
And I never knew that about the chickens lungs, that's good to know I guess that's why she doesn't cluck either.
She hasn't been eating normally and I haven't seen her drink once and today I took her out and she couldn't stand and kept falling. I gave her a quick bath because she smelt horrible and dried her and tried to get her to eat with her favorite foods. She ate some veggies and bread, but not much. And I'm hoping now that she has eaten she might get some of her strength back, but I don't think she will even make the night.

Back
Top Bottom