1. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. a Cuckoo Marans mix hen, not sure of age about 3lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly. i noticed this about 3 days ago, she would run around, peck at the ground like normal, but then she would just stop, tuck her head in, and ruffle her feathers and she will stay like that with one foot off the ground for a while and cloce her eyes like if she was sleepy. i also noticed that her poop is greens and has undigested food in it. the poop is not watery. she will drink water, but eat very little. her crop felt about half full lastnight. she ate today but it only gets about half full and then she starts to do the ruffleing of feathers thing, what could she have????

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? about 3days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing out of the ordinary

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. i feed them, game bird feed, chopped lettuce, layer pellets, and fresh water i change everyday

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. poop is green and has undigested food in it, but not watery or runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing yet

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? would like to treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. no wounds

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use bare floor in coop, i have large poop pans i clean everyday, and dirt in run

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    any one?

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    sorry, not sure, but you can at least isolate her from the others, just in case she has somethimg the others can get, keep her warm, should not be hard in CA. I would give her some electrolyte solution in her water for strenght, even if you have to kinda force her to drink give her some of her favorite treats to promote eating. I had a hen last summer with simular symptoms, tired, slow, sleepy all the time, head tucked into wings, could not keep up with the flock while outside, I did all of the above and she did recover in three days, hope you get the same results. good luck with her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by