sick hen

certifiedchef

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2010
Carmichael
one of my hens has not been feeling well. she has been slow moving for a couple days. someone laid a soft papery egg 2 days ago.
she is laying on the ground, her comb is flopped over and purple tipped. please advise. my number is 916-359-8768. I think we may lose her!
sad.png

Last edited:
as of my last post Luna has passed away. She was weak - unable to stand, she started to leak fluid from her mouth, just a dribble then about 2-3 TBLspns. Her comb was purplish tipped. She started convulsing(sp?) then did the 'death dance'. So... prior to this.. 2 days ago she seemed quiet and was in the egg hut in the evening standing and panting, I did not feel an egg, but there she stood. THe following day I found a thin egg in the house white (they all lay colored eggs) and broken. She was still in the egg hut. I saw her down by the water drinking, she would go intot the yard with her sisters, tonight she came out was kind of fluffy and wondered, I came back out 30 minutes later and found her lying in fromt of the hen house weak and slightly panting. ANy thoughts? Need for alarm for other girls?

Botulism. Symptoms are... weakness in legs, which gradually leads to paralysis of legs, wings, and neck. Lethargic. They will also drool.
Botulism is not extremely common, but is one of the most common poisonings in chickens. They can get it if they have some sort of access to a compost pile.

can anyone confirm or deny this, I thought working the compost pile is what the hens are best at

Back
Top Bottom