sick hens need advice, help update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wing it, Nov 3, 2011.

1. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Hi,
    I have two (as of now) hens with Coughing, white discharge from mouth, some with blood.
    eye on one is show some white puss, both sound raspy. No foul smell to them.
    notices some sneezing yesterday before that all seemed well.
    Hens are 3 years old just off molting.
    any help would be great

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi wing it,

I would immediately quarantine those birds, and any others that show similar symptoms or look unwell.

I don't want to upset you, but something that comes on that quickly and shows up as blood when coughing, as well as eye trouble, could very well be ILT (Infectious Laryngotracheitis).

Now would not be a good time to buy or sell any birds... [​IMG] I'm sorry, I haven't had experience with this disease and can't tell you what to do to prevent others getting sick, but I gather it's hard to eradicate as it's spread in various ways (litter, droppings, carcasses, sick birds or carriers). The vaccine for ILT can produce carriers that go on to spread the disease. Culling may be something to think about eventually if it is ILT, but in the meantime it would be a good idea to take a sick bird to arrange professional autopsy in the hopes that it's something more benign.

So sorry,
    Erica

3. wing it

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Yes I had thought it could be ILT or IBT.
    Having a few checked by the vet in the morning.
    thanks hopefully something not as bad

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree, it sounds like it could possibly be ILT. Let us know what the vet says if you would. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in poultry, scroll down and you'll see the suspected diseases you mentioned with possible treatment options: Good luck.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. wing it

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Thanks for input, at the moment I am leaning towards ILT
    Have seen it before when I was a kid on our small farm
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) that was about 30years ago and I don’t remember much about it
    All signs point in that direction from symptoms, raspy breathing, blood present in discharge, older hens effected first, to the rapid progression of the illness.
    Also added a few birds to flock, they where quarantined for 4 weeks, 2 weeks since introduction to flock. That fits in nicely with incubation period.
    Quarantine period in this case is somewhat a mute point as this virus can remain hidden in carrier birds
    New birds seem unaffected all the more reason to suspect ILT as I believe they develop some immunity after exposure (acquired immunity)
    We will see what the vet has to say in the morning
    Thanks

More on this can be found at http://www.worldpoultry.net/chickes/diseases/

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. wing it

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Took two hens in to the vet this morning
    No real answers as of yet, other than it is respiratory and probably viral.
    Running a few tests, blood, stool, and throat cultures, should be back next week.
    Also talking with people at Cornell to find out what they recommend.
    As for ILT vaccine I will hold off on that for now. Reasoning behind this is I do not know with any certainty that I am dealing with ILT. Vaccine would almost certainly help if it is ILT, but will leave flock as carries of ILT. Until I know why bring it into flock.
    So far 15 LF hens and 1 rooster are showing signs of illness, about 11 acute and 4 moderate. Of the 15+ bantams none are showing any signs of illness despite the fact that they are all housed together. Bantams are in the same age range as large foul. Question: do bantams fair better in respect to respiratory illness than Lf? And if so why? Anyone with any insight please shares your experiences.
    Have started all birds on antibiotic tylan. This is manly to prevent any secondary infection. Most of the birds are no longer coughing up blood/mucus. Believe this is due to them not being able to dislodge plugs and not a sign they are getting better. All still have very labored breathing and most are showing ocular discharge to some degree. All are isolated with brooder lights for heat. This seems to have made they more comfortable. Feeding with eggs, potatoes and oatmeal to try to keep weight up.
    Thanks

7. roxysly

roxysly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Silverton, Oregon
    wing it,

I would sure like to know how it turns out. I will hope for the best.

roxysly

8. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    You seem very knowledgeable. I hope for your sake that this isn't as serious as it seems. Good luck to you and your flock. Interesting about the LF vs. bantam. Take care.

9. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Holding good thoughts for your flock, and for you -

10. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi wing it,

sounds like you know what's going on and what to do.
    Many thanks for the update.
    All the best,

Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by