Sick hens

Squirlatheart

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Hi all,

I need help. I have 2 hens in my flock that have been exhibiting similar behavior for about 2 weeks. They both have difficulty standing and balancing. I mixed them up a special diet of yogurt, apple, honey, etc., and they will eat it, but they still have the same problem. I have not noticed anything else about them and everybody else in my flock is fine. Any ideas? And any ideas on how to treat? If they had something contagious, wouldn't the others get it? There are also 4 youngsters that always are with them. Thanks for any advice.

I would check for posts concerning Marek's disease. I hope that isn't what they have but anytime a chicken has problems with balance I would suspect Marek's.

In the meantime I would give them some extra vitamins. It they are eating and drinking you could put it in thier water. I don't know for sure, but if chickens can get sinus/ear infections maybe that could affect their balance as well. Some antibiotics wouldn't hurt.

Hopefully someone else will have some more ideas.

Thank you so much for your reply. I read about Mareks, but I would be surprised they would still be alive if they had it. Also, their eyes show no signs of it. Could a roo do this to them? They had a very aggressive rooster in with them before I took him out. Thank you again. They are about the same this a.m.
hu.gif

hello I am new here my cockbird had flu symtoms a while back and I put lemon in the drinking water and (borrowed) antibiotic from a farm nearby, in the morning he was fine now he is weak and keeps falling over-I only have him & his threehens I have put the same treatment in but wonder if anyone can help- his plumage is fine he looks tired and is scared I will do him in as are his wives THEY ARE NOT PETS but part of our economy I live in rural Spain--they are two and a half years old the cockbird is son of the original cock ( he developed splayed legs and as we had this cock nearly grown he went in the pot.) we then had an original hen who was a spoiler and three chicks on point of puberty-which I gave away as I did not want two cocks and these people wanted to start. I started with one cock and five hens in three years two batches of chicks some given away(4) the rest eaten in the house-very expensive meat but if you eat meat you should be able to kill prepare and cook it. they have an enclosed space with nesting boxes and an olive tree to roost in and are fedseeds and greenery and fruit and veg. and household scraps. I have to correct myself-1 hen is three one is18 months and one is the same age as thecock the youngest suffers terrible at the hands of all of themthe hens chase and peck her and the cock rapes her constantly she has a bald patch on her back and eats furtively and spends a lot of time on her own you are right I do not normally spout so it is addictive hope someone can enlighten me

Back
Top Bottom