Sick Hens!!

GoldenComet1819

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
I have quite a backyard flock now... approx 25 chickens, 5 guinea, 4 turkey. For the past 2 weeks Ive noticed some of then hens I rose had bubbly eyes some mucus coming from their nose. Their combs and wattles are normal color.Ive been giving the entire flock water soluble oxytetracycline and sulfamethazine for almost a week now. So far everyday seems different.... one day they have symptoms others they show none and walk around the yard just fine. 3 are showing some respritory problems. Im still learning how to care my flock and questions are suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

I recently lost two of my birds to Infectious Bronchitis that became tubular very quickly. I would take your sick birds to the vet immediately since we only waited a few days before going to the vet and lost 2 of the 3 sick birds. You could also try giving only the infected chickens antibiotics. Normally if they are sick they will not drink enough of the water to get the full effect of the antibiotics. We did Tylan 50 injectable first. When that didn't work the vet gave us the oxytetracycline you are using but we gave it to them directly undiluted. Separate all your sick birds from the others just in case it is infectious bronchitis. It is VERY contagious. You need to make sure they are warm and are resting as much as possible. I truly hope you have better luck than I did and all your birds make it. Keep updating so we know how they are progressing! Good luck!

The foam or bubbles in eyes with nasal drainage sounds a bit like mycoplasma (MG.) Usually it's best to separate sick ones, and only medicate them with antibiotics so as not to create antibiotic resistance. Infectious bronchitis can be complicated by secondary infections, which can be MG or coryza, or other diseases. Tylan50 given either injectable or orally for 5 days would be helpful to deal with symptoms. If there is any bad odor, then coryza may be a problem. Just remember that respiratory diseases make carriers of the whole flock, so you shouldn't expose these chickens to others, by selling or giving them or hatching eggs away. Here is a good link to compare symptoms of the various diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hi, I have just treated my girls for Mycoplasma by a week course of Tylan powder and flubenvent worming in the food mix. They have been back to normal water and food for a week now, I am going to worm them again this week. My question is, some of the birds showed signs of MG initially, and some are starting to show signs now (after the course of Tylan). Do you think they need another week of Tylan or should I just wait and see if it goes away? Question 2. Is it safe to eat the eggs now, a week after the antibiotics have finished?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Nigel.

Udate: The oxytetracycline wasnt seeming to work. So nightly Ive been making a small batch of sulfamethazine and a broken syringe to make sure theyre drinking the medicated water. So far it seems to be working. My sickest bird is able to cluck clearly now, no bubbles in the eyes for the past 2-3 days. Im suprised it lasted 2 weeks and I didnt lose any!! But everyone seems to be getting back to health. Im thinking it may have been coryza? Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom