Sick/Injured Chick

MarkoCub

Hatching
Jun 11, 2022
My little chicken fairly young has been lately been always laying down like this and eating. She has not laid an egg if a good while as well. Looking for some answers here before I take a trip to the vet.

0.jpg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
Answer these questions.->
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
Answer these questions.->
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
-She is a Australorp age is between 1-2 years and weight I'm not sure exactly what it is.
-She walks fine no limp or such. When she stands her tail droops instead of standing up. But she can only stand for a little bit before dropping to the ground and laying like in the picture.
-Symptoms have been around for 2-3 weeks
- no other birds are showing symptoms
-no bleeding or signs of trauma
-nothing happened her tail started to become droopy and then she started to lay on the ground.
-She's been eating her feed ,grass, fruits, and drinking water.
-poop has been looking normal
-haven't done any treatment yet not sure what to do. thought she would get better on her own
-If i can i would like to treat her myself but if i have to i will take her to the vet
-picture is posted above
-standard coop with standard bedding.

Have you added any new birds recently?

She's not laid any eggs in a good while, she may be having some reproductive issues. Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid.
Do see that she's staying hydrated and eating. Look her over for lice/mites and that her crop is emptying.
She may benefit from some poultry vitamins and if possible, get a fecal float to see if worms are part of the problem.

Sadly, sometimes when a laying hen starts a decline like this, they may not be able to rally. Some do for a period of time, only to get worse again as time goes by.

Back
Top Bottom