Sick/ Injured Gosling

LisabethBrooke

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
One of my week old goslings got possibly injured today. I had them all (3 week old and 2 maybe a week older I'm not sure we bought them at the farm store) in a brooding pen that was outside. They've been doing great out there until this evening when I went to feed water and check on them in general, one of them was stuck in the side of the pen as if something had tried to pull it through. So now I have them all back in my bedroom, in a kiddy pool. 4 of them are perfectly fine enjoying being inside again. But the one that was injured and now acts sick -

With her I did an assessment in the pen and again in the house. upon first guess she needed to be put down. But after looking at her inside It doesn't appear anything is broken. More as if she's just traumatized and wants to lay and cuddle with me. So I put her back on the heating pad. If I hold her up she still can move both legs, and while I'm cradling her in my hands she moves her head all over. But she shows no interest in eating or drinking at the moment, but I did dribble a little bit of water on her beak which she responded to with whipping her beak in the drops of water that collected on my arm. But she looks like her wings stick out from her body now. I'm thinking I'll wrap them as if it is Angel wing and hope that they will improve. She still can chirp although she does it very quietly. She mostly just acts as if she wants held and cuddled.

Is there anything I can do to help her besides wrap her wings and pray for the best? Maybe some special food mix, or something to add to the water. One of the other goslings (the darker of the older two) just layed down beside her and is cuddling her.

She's probably in shock. I'd give her some....
boiled egg
yogurt
goat milk (if you have some)
and some normal food mashed up together.
If you have some vitamins you could give him some of that too.
I'd try putting food in his mouth.

I took some pictures of her wings

This is what they look like from the top, stuck out from the body.

This is a side view of one of the wings.

I am apparently in need of restocking my medicine/emergency kits. All I had was just enough gauze to wrap around her...and scotch tape. So that's is how her wings are held in place. She can still move them so I'm hoping it doesn't mean that they are disjointed or seriously injured.

All of them laying with her on the heating pad. I like to think its them being loving and supporting and not just being like "share the heating pad!"

The two older goslings are very protective of her. When I'm not close they will either cuddle with her or give her a little space. If I get too close they run over to her stand over the top of her and rapidly whistle at me until I back off. And when I grab her from them, they attempt to peck at me.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to help her heal up are greatly appreciated!

She's probably in shock. I'd give her some....
boiled egg
yogurt
goat milk (if you have some)
and some normal food mashed up together.
If you have some vitamins you could give him some of that too.
I'd try putting food in his mouth.
Mash the boiled egg, yogurt, goat milk and starter feed all together? What kind of vitamins? Human or special animal ones? Does it matter if the yogurt is flavored like strawberry? Or should I get some plain?

Well after she refused to eat or drink anything I tried I just sat and held her. And then she died... I should've just taken her to the vet.

Well after she refused to eat or drink anything I tried I just sat and held her. And then she died... I should've just taken her to the vet.
Ah, how sad. She probably got some damage internally. The wings may have been showing that. Angel wing doesn´t start until they´re around a month or so, it´s when the big flights start to come through. Sorry to hear that you lost her.

It is just so very sad when we lose a gosling or adult goose! So sorry to hear you lost your baby.
At least baby was loved to the end. They know it when the feel safe in your arms to go home...Remember this that baby was loved from the time conceived to hatch and in your safe arms to depart.. If baby had internal problems even the vet could not save the baby.....

Back
Top Bottom